Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

IE Error

• Please log in to reply

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Well everytime I exit out of Internet Explorer, I receive this error. And I can't switch to FireFox becuase of some compatanility issues on my PC.
Posted Image

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi, MoNsTeReNeRgY22.

What version of IE?

How long has it been happening?

What might have happened on your system around the same time that this error showed up?

Take a look at this link that discusses repairing IE6.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
This could be caused by spyware, a bad ActiveX control in Add-ons, one of the many crappy toolbars or other issues with IE itself. Start by doing anti-malware scans, deleting ActiveX controls in Manage Add-ons (necessary ones will be recreated when using the program), uninstalling toolbars and as previously stated doing an IE repair.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
Im using IE7 and is started about a week ago. I think it started when I ran TuneUp Utilities 2007 :whistling:

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts

IMPROVED! TuneUp RegistryCleaner: Targets unnecessary entries in the Windows registry using an improved scanning technology and removes them

This should be your first clue on possibly why you are having some issues. IMO tools like this can in some cases be more detrimental than good... :whistling:

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Try to do a System Restore to day before you ran TuneUp.

If that doesn't work, unisntall IE7, reboot, reinstall.

You could also try SFC (System File Checker). It can fix certain issues in Windows where specific system files get corrupted, deleted, or infected. Basically the System File Protection watches the system files and checks their integrity against it's knowledge of what these files are supposed to look like. Generally if a system file get's "messed with" windows will let you know and give you the option to dissallow the change, sometimes you don't get this option though. The System File Checker is a command line utility that will initiate a scan of all the system files to make sure they are in their original state, present on the system, and or working properly. It's an easy tool to use but the user HAS to have an XP disk for it to work.

Do you have a valid XP cd?

If so, place it in your CD ROM drive and follow the instructions below

Start > Run > cmd then type

sfc /scannow (note the space)

Allow this to run until you get a message saying it is complete.

SFC - system file checker, retrieves the correct version of the file from %Systemroot%\System32\Dllcache or the Windows installation source files, and then replaces the incorrect file.

Please post the resulsts.

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

MoNsTeReNeRgY22

Member 2k

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,539 posts
No I dont have my Original XP CD, but I ran restore from the tune up and restored everything it changed back to normal. I will let you know if I receive an more of those errors.