Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CANNOT remove "Network Monitor Driver"

• Please log in to reply

marcolopes

marcolopes

• Pip
  • 7 posts
CANNOT remove "Network Monitor Driver"
---
This is really annoying! Windows has so many things that seem hard to control, but I go really mad when I cannot remove a single program / service.

Since windows installed the "Network Monitor Driver", I cannot remove it.
When I try to remove it, the Network properties window simply HANGS.
I must kill the process, as it stays in the HANG state for minutes, without any change.
After that, NETWORK MONITOR DRIVER still remains on the network properties.

RECENTLY I had an "improvement" on this problem!
I installed the new "NETWORK MONITOR 3" from Microsoft.
After I REMOVED this one (network monitor 3), I get the error:
"Cannot uninstall the Network Monitor Driver component. Network monitor driver is still required by the following components and cannot be uninstalled until those components are uninstalled: NETWORK MONITOR3"

SO, now I have 2 annoyances!!!!!!!!!!!

I only have 3 registry keys that relate to "network monitor 3", and removing those will CHANGE the above error message to the SAME message without the "NETWORK MONITOR3" name on it, so it seems the registry is just a name reference.

Any help on this one?

Thanks.

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Are you trying to remove it through Add/Remove Windows Components?

marcolopes

marcolopes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I cannot Add/remove Network Monitor Driver Through windows components.
I can only add/remove add-ons, such network tools, but those do not afect the NM.

I i'm trying to remove the service from NETWORK properties.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you tried to disable the process in control panel > administrative tool > services. Double click the process you want to remove. A table will open. Under "general" tab choose disable in "startup type".

marcolopes

marcolopes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Hi Skeptic,

This is not a SYSTEM SERVICE that i can disable.
This is a NETWORK ADAPTER service only.
U can check on your Network Connection-> Properties (where u configure file & print sharing, TCP/IP, etc...)

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
The services table include many that are not system related. Have you tried looking in there?

marcolopes

marcolopes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Yes!!
"Network Monitor" is not among them. i Never saw it there.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Boot the computer in safe mode. Log in with the account named administrator. Try to remove the network now.

marcolopes

marcolopes

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I've tried that.

BEFORE installing "Network monitor 3", i got the same "HANG" problem.

AFTER installing AND REMOVING "Netwoek monitor 3", i get the Cannot uninstall the Network Monitor Driver component. Network monitor driver is still required by the following components and cannot be uninstalled until those components are uninstalled: NETWORK MONITOR3"

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
I don't have this driver in my computer but what I do now is to use search to locate the driver and delete it. Before deleting I would copy and save it just in case something goes wrong. Another alternative is to save it in the recycle been and restore it from there if necessity arise.

Renji

Renji

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Have u found a fix for this problem? I'm running a LAN Center in Largo, FL and we are having the same problem on all 21 of our PC's. They all have nVIDIA chipsets. I'm going to try an older chipset driver to see if it works. I think its the nVIDIA Firewall that used to ask if u wanted it installed. It seems to not ask that and install anyway :/ If i get it fixed though i will let u know.