Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows ME

• Please log in to reply

deb306

deb306

• PipPip
  • 60 posts
Can someone please tell me where I can go to do some updating for IE since Bill Gates is no longer offering it.

I had a systems crash 13 days ago and just got back up on my PC yesterday and when I opened up IE it took me to Microsoft's web site to download any critical updates, so I updated the Service Pack for IE first (1st). After the download I had to do a restart. Thinking that I would be able to go back and finish all of the other critical updates, the site keeps redirecting me to Microsoft's MAC web site, where there is no updating for 'ME', so Security for IE is at great risk. PLEASE help !!!

Also, I can not remember where I read this, but saw it on this site, what to do with Ad-Aware before you run a scan, something in the controls at the Upper right side of the panel. The instruction was to click on the Configuration Window and either check or uncheck someting before you run the scanner. I'm sorry but can not remember what the instructions were and where to find them.

Thank U
:whistling:

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Read carefully then proceed.

ERPMan's Windows 98 & Windows ME System Updates Page

deb306

deb306

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Whiskeyman,

Thank you so much for the information page you gave me. I read everything and I'm still in the dark, and scared at the same time. I have no idea what to download and not to download for my operating system, I am NOT technically inclined at all. In fact, the page is overwhelming to say the least. I see your trying to stop smoking, so I wont ask you for your help in pointing out what I should be downloading from the site, like holding my hand in the process ... LOL. Oh!, I too am trying to stop smoking.

Thank U !!!

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Do you have Office 2000 or Office XP installed or plan to install either? If so skip #4.

I am not sure if this still works, but you could download and install IE6 SP1 (#9) then try Windows Updates to see if it still functions. If not I have listed the updates with their download links in order below. My fingers are tired from having to type all of them in.

Open My Documents and right click on an empty space then click New> Folder. Name it WinME updates. Download the following updates to that folder. Execute them (double click) within the folder so they can install.

Download and install in order.1. Windows ME System Restore Update

2. Windows ME "WebTV for Windows Denial of Service" Security Update

3. Windows ME 'IDE Hard Drive Cache Package' Ifsmgr.vxd Update

4. Windows ME Web Client Fp4awec.dll Security Update (without Office 2000 or Office XP)

5. Windows ME "Malformed IPX NMPI Packet" Security Update

6. Windows ME Q299014 Help & Support Update

7. Windows ME "HyperTerminal Buffer Overflow" Security Update

8. Windows ME Universal Plug and Play Security Update

9. Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

10. Windows ME & Internet Explorer 5.5/6.x Xenroll.dll Q323172 Security Update

11. Windows ME Q329048 Security Update

12. Windows ME & Internet Explorer 5.5/6.x Q329115 Security Update

13. I cannot locate it.

14. Windows ME KB823559 Security Update

15. Unofficial Crypt32 - Msasn1.dll KB835732 Security Fix for Windows ME & IE

16. Windows 98 & ME Dhtmled.ocx Security Update for Internet Explorer 5.x/6.x

17. Windows ME Hlink.dll IE KB888113 Security Update

18. Windows ME KB891711 Security Update

19. Windows ME KB918547 Security Update

20. Unofficial Windows 98 & ME Cumulative Time Zone Update (DST)
Optional: DirectX 9.0c End-User Runtime

Edited by Whiskeyman, 30 March 2007 - 08:12 AM.

deb306

deb306

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Hey Whiskey,

I always forget to mention my operating system is ME. I already have installed IE-6 SP-1. That's what I was referring to when I mentioned after I got back upon my desktop, I opened up IE and immediately was directed to the Windows Update page, and after I installed IE-6, I did a restart and when I came back to the site, it would not let me do anything else.

Looking at your list you put in your mail to me, I've already downloaded Windows ME System Restore Update, and because I have Windows ME as my operating system, do you still want me to download all the others that you've listed in that order. Because of what I went thru after my PC crashed and was down for 13-days, I just want to make sure that I do nothing wrong at this point Whiskey, hope you understand. I see on your list something about 2000 and XP am I suppose to download anything pertaining to them???

I'll wait for your reply to this mail before I proceed.

Thanks once again !!!!

Debra

deb306

deb306

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Whiskey,

Two questions. Should I restart my PC every time I download and install each of these programs, or can I restart after all have been installed. Will this hurt the PC at all not restarting after everyone???

I've downloaded and installed up to No. 8 on the list and did a restart only twice, so after I went to the Add/Remove to see if any of them were listed there, I didn't see any of them, I hope I'm doing your instructions right. Shouldn't they be listed there, in the Add/Remove program.

Also, after I installed No. 7 I got this message, "this update is not designed for your verison of Windows". On Nos. 11,12,13,14 -- 16,17,18 and 19, I got this: " Pages Cannot Be Displayed", now what ???

Edited by deb306, 29 March 2007 - 10:12 PM.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
#4 is to be downloaded if you do not have Microsoft Office 2000 or Office XP installed on your computer as stated previously.

Links are fixed..

Edited by Whiskeyman, 30 March 2007 - 08:13 AM.

EmperorWoodrow

EmperorWoodrow

• PipPip
  • 18 posts
I was having the same problem with updates for win ME..went back yesterday and now microsoft site works..problem must have been on there end.. :whistling:

deb306

deb306

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 60 posts
Emperor,

Thank you very much for the tip, I got all the downloading done from Microsoft ... I owe you ONE ... LOL

Deb