Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Password Prompts

• Please log in to reply

robertk

robertk

• PipPip
  • 45 posts
I am the only person using this computer and there is no financial information on this computer. Windows 98 was recently re-nstalled and now when I boot up I am asked to ENTER YOUR NETWORD PASSWORD FOR MICROSOFT NETWORKING. I do not write a thing, press Enter and continue. Can this prompt be eliminated? Then every time I go to my main email, Outlook Express, it asks for a password for my Mail Account. Before the reinstall I never had to enter my Earthlink password. Can this be eliminated?
Rob

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Try this: How to Prevent a Windows 95, Windows 98, or Windows Me Logon Prompt at Startup

If you need updates: ERPMan's Windows 98 & Windows ME System Updates Page

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I did all right until I got to number 10. "9. Type *.pwl in the Named box, click Local Hard Drives in the Look in box, and then press ENTER. #10. Right-click one of the .pwl files, click Rename, and then rename the file with an .old file name extension. Repeat this step for each .pwl file."
I found one pwl file but did not know what it meant by rename this file with an ".old file name extension".

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
As an example if the PWL is named robetk.pwl right click it, click Rename and add .old to the end so you end up with robetk.pwl.old

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I added an .old to the one existing pwl file, restarted the computer, and the got the Microsoft Password Prompt box again. Funny thing, the second line in the box says "Tip: If you don't enter a password, you won't get this prompt again at startup".
When I startup and the box comes up, my name is always in the box and the space for the password is empty. Yet I always get this box. No big deal, I just hit Enter and continue. Another funny thing, I had to enter my Earthlink password when I restarted , which I never have to do except when I go to Outlook Express. Wonder if what I did to the pwl changed something about that?

R

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Your Tip may have worked. I turned on the computer this morning and when I came back it was ready for me to use, with no Prompt Box for Windows. Now we have to figure out why I have to put in my Server password everytime I go to Outlook Express. I never had to do that before Windows 98 was re-installed. I will not call Earthlink support, every time I have called them in the past their support has been less than helpful(and hard to understand,language-wise).
Thanks.

Rob

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Have you updated to IE6/OE6 or are you still running the original IE/OE for Win98? I think the older version didn't have the remember password option.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi robertk...

Open Control Panel and double click the "Network" icon. From the "Primary Network Logon" drop down menu, select "Windows Logon" and apply the change (will require a restart). You should not have had to rename the pwl file to fix the network logon prompt at startup.

wannabe1

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
whiskeyman asked: "Have you updated to IE6/OE6 or are you still running the original IE/OE for Win98"
I have no idea. How can I tell what version I am using?

R

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
A strange thing has happened. Everywhere the word "and" appears, it is highlited in pink. Any idea what has caused that?

R

Advertisements

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
I can't help with the pink problem, but to tell what version of IE, with IE open just click on Help then About Internet Explorer.

Here is the download for IE6/OE6.

Internet Explorer 6 Service Pack 1

Edited by Whiskeyman, 30 March 2007 - 12:19 PM.

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I have version 6.0 for IE. Thanks.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP

A strange thing has happened. Everywhere the word "and" appears, it is highlited in pink. Any idea what has caused that?

are you talking about in internet explorer? do you have the google toolbar installed?

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
I would start over with your OE accounts by removing them then set them back up. Make sure to check the box to Remember password.

Setting up your Earthlink email account

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Everywhere the word "and" appears, it is highlited in pink.
are you talking about in internet explorer?
in Internenet Explorer and in Outlook Express, the word "and" is in a lightpink box, this happened a few hours ago. what in the world could I have done?
do you have the google toolbar installed?
on my previous Windows 98, I did. As this Windows 98 was re-installed a week or so ago, I did not get the Google Toolbar but I would like to have it. At present I have the EarthLink Toolbar but I would like to "not" use this and "not" use the EarthLink Total Access, which I would have to remove. As my previous history is not great at removing things from the computer, I have just let it be.
Oh, and I will probably not start over with Outlook Express. I have lost so much that I will just have to put up with this annoying password prompt.

R