Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Good 'ol BSOD striking me randomly

• Please log in to reply

carbuncle

carbuncle

• PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hiya

My machine is suffering from random crashes which useally have the STOP codes Stop 50 and Stop A - the last one though was Stop 8E

Finally found myself a way into Event Viewewr and have noticed 3 errors continually been accessed and these are EZWinit and EZwriter can't find the files needed etc and also IPSEC services Service is unable to start etc.

Have done a quick msconfig and unchecked the IPSEC service from attempting to run and that touch wood seems to have cured that bit But.......

This EZ stuff has me perplexed, it is useally formed as part of the EZ Flash program which i had on my machine to back up saved Gameboy Advance roms etc, but i checked the HD and found i had actually installed multiple versions of the program on differant drives with the same drivers etc so uninstalled the one on Drive C:\ through add/remove programs which left the one on the other HD.

Still getting same event errors so deleted all traces of the EZ program off my computer incl drivers and everything.

But still the machine seems to want to try to access EZ Winit and EZwriter and when it finds no files exist give out error messages in Event Viewer.

Now I'm not sure if this is the actual cause of the random crashes or not but would like to remove EZ... from anywhere on my PC that it may reside but can't find it in any place.

Any ideas

Any help as always greatly appreciated

BTW XP with SP2 installed.

512 mg of SD Ram but have just bought a stick of 1GB DDR Ram which will be going in soon.

Advertisements

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi carbuncle.

Please check out this G2G Thread that lists two of your STOP errors with possible causes and solutions.

Here's a recap:

STOP 50 - this could indicate faulty hardware or software drivers.

STOP A IRQL Not Less or Equal - this one often has a specific filename, device driver name, etc., after it. If it did display something, then that's the problem - track it down and uninstall it. It could indicate a faulty driver, firmware, or hardware.

1. Did the crashes and STOP errors start only after you installed EZ Flash?

2. Is there anything else you might have installed (software, hardware, updates for anything, or device drivers) around the time you started getting the STOP errors?

3. Are the EZ Flash errors coming up at boot or at some other time? If some other time, when?

If they're popping up at boot, let's go back to MSCONFIG, Startup tab, and look for any item that says anything about EZ Flash and uncheck them. Also, browse to c:\documents and settings\Your UserName\start menu\programs\startup for any shortcuts that might remain for the EZ Flash program. Double check the Startup folder for each different user you have under Documents and Settings, especially All Users.

carbuncle

carbuncle

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 113 posts
Hi Linda

Must admit ive had the EZ Flash software installed for quite some time but i can't remember if the problems started after i had installed an updated version on a differant drive whilst still having the old version on C:\

What i have done is to tip toe into the Reg Editer and searched and deleted the reg of all instances of EZ Winit and EZ Writer, and lo and behold the event viewer is now not showing any errors BUT..... The machine has crashed again and when trying to reboot it gave a series of beeps, i rebooted again and this time it went into XP before crashing.

So ive took out the old Ram and just put in the brand new 1gb DDR 2700 ram ivew just got from Crucial.

Will hope this has settled things down now.

I have also had to rejig the PCI sound card i had because a computer technician told me that you shouldn't have any thing installed on the 3rd PCI slot down from your AGP Graphics card?? so have moved that.

I also were getting Boot Up problems continuously when my new USB 2 PCI card was fitted, I took that out hoping it would cure things when boot ing up, which admittedly is slightly better but the random crashes through the day are more worrying.

Will see how things go over next couple of days with new Ram fitted and report back.