Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Compiz or Beryl?

• Please log in to reply

Tyler5690

Tyler5690

• PipPipPip
  • 135 posts
I am running Kubuntu 6.10 on my laptop (1.86 ghz core duo, 2 GB RAM, nVidia GeForce Go 7400), and decided I would like to try one of these nifty toys everybody is talking about, but I just don't know which one is better, Compiz or Beryl. Basically, I just want to know if one has more features than the other, which one is more stable, and which one would overall be better to try.

Edited by Tyler5690, 29 March 2007 - 10:40 AM.

Advertisements

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
Beryl 0.2.0 went final the other day and seems to be the choice of the more mainstream distros. Ubuntu, Mepis and PCLinuxOS have opted for Beryl and their latest versions should go final shortly. I've tested SimplyMepis, PCLinuxOS and Vector and they are beautiful. My older hardware handled them well(AMD Athlon XP2500+, ATI 9200 256MB, 1GB PC3200). Can't wait for the final releases and to finish my new box(parts on the way).

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
And then theres this that comes up on my linux email newsgroup.

Recently, discussions between Beryl and Compiz have lead to an agreement to merge the two projects. The merged project will likely have a new name, still undecided.

the slug group i am a member of.

http://www.suncoastlug.org/

This group has a lot of well known Linux people that post to the newsgroup.

SRX660

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
i read that ubuntu 7.04, which is available april 19th i think, will have something like compiz and beryl pre-installed, but not actually either of them because the development team thinks that they are too unstable. I can't wait to check that out.

Edited by stettybet0, 01 April 2007 - 01:07 PM.

ThPenguinsRComin

ThPenguinsRComin

• PipPip
  • 32 posts
Just to toss my two-cents in, I prefer Beryl to Compiz. And it's running fine on this laptop, which only has the built-in Intel graphics chipset.

silverbeard

silverbeard

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPip
  • 791 posts
I just took the Live cd of SimplyMepis 6.5 for a test drive with the Beryl 0.2.0 interface and is it ever nice. Absolutely beautiful and seemed very stable. Guess I'll have to clear off a partition this weekend and install it to see if I really like it. So far it's totally cool.