Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

system error

• Please log in to reply

spunkyd

spunkyd

• PipPip
  • 58 posts
I was not quite sure abouts where to post this topic so sorry if its in the wrong section.

Basically today i installed a ATI graphics card update to the catalyst one for my X600 on pc and began playing a game half an hour later the computer froze so i had to turn it off at buton turned it back on and it no longer wors as the motherboard loads then i get options to boot in safe mode, from last point were computer was working, normal and they all end up doing the same thing after about one bar on windows xp loading it freezes then goes to blue screen of death and sais the bla bla rbish if this is the first time etc. (it sais it was causesd by probably software or hardware updates) i dont know if it was because i have a G15 keyboard and have recently installed that. i have tried some of the F8 options like VGA mode etc.but they dont work either (i havent done all of them like the restoe one because i dont know if it will work because there is the reminents of a virus there and it deleted some of those file[i know longer have the virus as it was defeated thanks to this site months ago]so i dont know if thatll work) it may be something else but please help or ask for more information to see if you can help

thanks,
Duncan

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try this, you only need a checkpoint prior to the ATI update

Items in blue which are underlined are clickable to give more information about the process

Start the System Restore Utility at a command prompt

1. Restart your computer, and keep tapping F8 during the initial start-up until you get options, select Safe Mode with a Command Prompt then press enter.

2. Log on to your computer with an administrator account or with an account that has administrator credentials.

3. Type the following command at a command prompt, and then press ENTER:

%systemroot%\system32\restore\rstrui.exe

4. Follow the instructions that appear on the screen to restore your computer to an earlier state.

Look for the most recent system checkpoint created before the errors to restore from

For additional information about the Safe mode with a command prompt, click 315222 to see a description of the Safe Mode Boot Options in Windows XP

spunkyd

spunkyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Thanks but i havent had time to try it yet so i am going to tommorow.

But this will still have the liklihood of working even though every other startup mode doesnt work and that there used to be a virus in this area and it may have deleted some of the files or still be there.

Shall i just try it anyway.

thanks again.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try it because it will either run or not, but only take ten minutes

There is a repair option which leaves data and programmes in place but takes a couple of hours with the updating

spunkyd

spunkyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
This does not work because safe mode doesnt work it gets i think to the end then goes to the same blue screen of death before i can do anything else youve listed there.

The only option i havent tried on F8 apart from boot logging mode i think because i dont know what boot logging mode is.

i have not tried this Directory services restore mode (widows domain controllers only)

if not then i dont know what to do and im in despair cause its my good computer and i dont have a back up windows disk for re-formatting my harddrive because dell did not suply me with one.

aaaaaaaaaaa why are computers so complicated :whistling:

:blink: :help: :help: :)

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Specifically safe mode with command prompt, not safe mode?

spunkyd

spunkyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
Yes

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Can you borrow a same version XP CD

spunkyd

spunkyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
I could look into it i have a friend who has it but hes used it already like 7 times does that matter as well as it being the same version its just it doesnt have media center like mine would that matter.

Ive also got a technical guy i can show it to tommorow as well but i dont think he can do anything so yes if im able to use my friends disk i can probably get one

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
It would need to be the same version

The Tech may get it to start if he removes the ATI card, then at least he can uninstall any problem software

Advertisements

spunkyd

spunkyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
ok thanks ill see how it goes tommorow and tell you if it doesnt go well ill see who elsei knowho has a version

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Hope it goes well

spunkyd

spunkyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
He couldnt do anything so hes saidto send it back to dell or get a windows media center disk

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you can get a media centre disc then it gives you a couple of options, which will be worth trying before sending it back

Is it a new PC

spunkyd

spunkyd

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 58 posts
its just a year old but warrenty just ended from dell so ye its quite new.

but im not paying like £130 for the disk

is there any other option like a boot disk or something