Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Running sluggish, CPU usage at 100%

• Please log in to reply

derockus

derockus

• Pip
  • 5 posts
My laptop started running sluggishly and freezing. The harddrive ended up being bad so i replaced it but the computer is still operating very slowly. In windows task manager the CPU usage graph sticks around 90-100% and the cooling fans are constantly running full blast. Specs: Pentium4M 2.00MHz, 640Mb ram (512+128)

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Could you report which process in the task manager is such a heavy consumer of resources.

derockus

derockus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
One firefox window is using about 48,000K with AIM second at 26,000K

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Taskmanager can be configured to provide more information. From the top menu choose View>Select Columns.. If you select as one of your choices "CPU Time." clicking that column header 3 times will sort the processes according to the amount of time each has accessed the processor this session. System Idle is usually at the top, and that is as should be. Just below will be the main users of your resources. What are they?

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
What I am looking for is in the coloumn cpu. What you wrote down represents memory usage.

Please report again.

derockus

derockus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
system idle process by far is the largest

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
System idle process is the part of cpu resources that is still available for use. It should be between 95-99 apptroximately when the computer is idling. Sorry for not explaining this beforehand. Please report what value system idle process is running on. If constantly below the figure I mentioned please list other processes which constantly run and take, say, over 20 percent.

Please download Everest (link below). Run it and go to Computer > Sensor. Wait few seconds until data shows up and report temperatures.

derockus

derockus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Ok, CPU temp is 46C and Harddrive is 40C. I think you are on to something as I've noticed the computer runs fine for about 10 min when you start it up but when the fans kick in they don't generally ever turn off.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Run Everest again and the same time run a full scan of your computer with your antivirus. kep looking at the temperatures every few minutes and report the maximum.

I still need cpu usage of processes as asked in my previous post.

derockus

derockus

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
OK, the during the virus scan it got up to 133degF. and avast took up the most cpu

bind19

bind19

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello! i have a laptop and are experiencing the same problem. System idle process is indeed the biggest CPU Time process. I cannot use system restore and i am running out of options. my cpu temp is 33C and the HD is 40C.

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
In your first post you mentioned that the cpu grapgh sticks at around 100% and I still don't understand what caused that. Normally it should be around 2% when idling. If your computer runs antimalware programs upon startup then this is not idle. Like asked before let the computer finish all initial processes, including automatic scans and updates, and then check and tell me what system idle is.

Temperature of your cpu is rather high when loaded. This is not unusual and in fact is quite common among laptop. Please use compressed air (you can buy compressed air cans for computer uses) and blow clean the air inlets and the fan. Lift the computer up somewhat on two books to enable better air circulation. You may consider buying a cooling plate designed for this purpose.