Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sky Broadband LCP down issues

• Please log in to reply

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Hey, I switched to Sky broadband a while back because 16mb for £10 a month didnt sound so bad. But Sky are the WORST ISP EVER! I frequently, like 6 to 10 times a day get connection drops, and the only way I can recconect is to go to 192.168.0.1, in my browser, and reboot the rooter.

This is too impractical for the amount of times it happens. On the connection status screen, the message LCP Down, or LCP is allowed to come up are displayed during down times.

I rang Sky customer services and all they could suggest was moving my problem to 'level 3', and someone should get back to me.

Ive heard of lots of people having this problem but can't find a fix for it anywhere, so any help would be GREATLY appreciated.

Thanks

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
If you changed the line filters, check those, try the ones you had before

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
The microfilters? That was the first thing Sky suggested to check, and they seemed to be fine.

I think it may be more a router issue than Sky's end. The router they supplied is a Netgear DG834GT.

I restored it to factory settings a couple of hours ago and so far so good, but I'll know in the morning if the connection has dropped over night.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have one of those and it drops if the filters aren't working, there could be a firmware update though if factory defaults work then leave the firmware

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
The Firmware cannot be upgraded, it had Skys own built into it, and no update is available. Does no-one know a fix for this?

Thomascoote

Thomascoote

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 42 posts
O.k, I believe I've fixed it, although I've broken Skys terms and conditions by doing it.
The Firmware that Sky use is crap, but can't be upgraded.
http://www.skyuser.c...y-password.html
and
http://www.skyuser.c...ew.php?pg=flash

Go to those sites, and download the tools needed for flashing the Firmware. All instructions are there, but doing this will void Skys T & Cs so only do it if there is no other option. I havent had a connection drop in 2 days, which is unbelievable!

Edited by Thomascoote, 08 April 2007 - 07:24 AM.