Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

graphic glitches

• Please log in to reply

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
alright im on agp and both board and agp card are 4x/8x first off, i was having issues getting the card to run in 8x mode, stayed in 4x, i decided to update my driver for the agp slot. IT RAN 8x after that. BUT when in 8x i get this
heres the thing, this is the least amount it does and i lucked out at the time. it was so bad last night to the point i couldnt see. also im not overclocking the card. since then i have reverted my driver running on 4x, but its slower like that
Posted Image

Advertisements

mozzer11

mozzer11

• PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
My old card started doing this and I found out that the memory on the card was on it's way out.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

My old card started doing this and I found out that the memory on the card was on it's way out.

i hope not, it only does it when on 8x mode

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
Is this under the Vista install or the XP sp2 install?

either way, the rendering issue can be caused by a number of things.

corrupted DirectX driver, bad driver update for Graphics card or Motherboard. I have found some boards and graphic cards state they are 8x compatible, but they degrade under the higher settings, or even worse, they don't actually support 8X even when they say they do.

What brand card is the graphics card and what Motherboard is this on.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
Motherboard Name ECS L4S8A2

AGP 8x: Gigabyte GeForce 6600 GT AGP

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
well both of those are specifically for 8x.

at this point I'm leaning more towards either driver issues, or you may, as stated earlier, have you Graphics card going out on you.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

well both of those are specifically for 8x.

at this point I'm leaning more towards either driver issues, or you may, as stated earlier, have you Graphics card going out on you.

should i try updating both the vd card driver and the agp driver? or possible mobo bios

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
ok, i updated the driver for the card, then updated the agp slot driver, its running at 8x, most of the graphic glitches are gone, the only one i seen is on my character when reloading (im playing bf2) i have the video settings on custom, mix between low and high. runs fine. but heres a new problem. the game froze and the display went out...sorta. the green and orange light on the monitor start blibking back and forth rapidly

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
that is a ram related issue. usually that occurs when their isn't enough available ram to run the graphics properly. I noticed your board is designed to use shared ram if there isn't enough being supplied by the card itself. so depending on how much ram you have on your motherboard you need to look at the following. What operating system you are using, since you run both Vista and XP.
How many different programs you have set up to run at start .
this will subtract the amount of ram available.

so based on that equation you can easily run out of ram, and end up with a dead monitor. what has happened is there isn't enough ram so the Graphics card shuts down to protect the components. When this happens your monitor stops receiving the signal and it acts like you have turned the computer off but left your monitor on.

Edited by Dragon, 29 March 2007 - 09:12 PM.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
i have 1gig if ram, im staying on xp, and i always have atleast 700mb free, i have the shared memory set at 256mb. thwe card is 128mb. also i believe i ixed it. another programmer on another site asked me if i was overclocking. turns out that was the problem(o/ced cpu and ram, not card) now i can run bf2 at max graphics settings with very minimal lag

Dragon

Dragon

All Around Computer Nut

• Retired Staff
  • 2,678 posts
so by overclocking the system you used up your resources with your ram, that is why you were unable to run your graphics properly, overclocking puts a detrimental effect on the ram also. I forgot to mention that part in my last post.

Glad you got it figured out.