Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Graphics Card Failure

• Please log in to reply

Titan8990

Titan8990

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Alright first of all I would like to point out that I purchased this card used on ebay. It worked perfect for about 6months. Near the end I was having a bit of problems with what seemed to be heat related crashes. I thought that the heat related crashes were actually processor heat which really was never that hot (60c). Anyways... I descided to replace the stock ceramic grease with the supossidly more efficient metalic thermal grease. When I finished my computer would not boot. I took it step by step unplugging my peripherials. My CD burned had been making so bad noise and the computer booted once I removed the molex from the CD burner (without the video card mounted).

I was thinkin yay it was just a CD burner but I was wrong... When I put the graphics card back in everything appears to boot correctly other than the fact that I get no video. I have reseated 3-5 times now. Oddly enough about the third time I reseated the card I forgot to connect the 6pin PCI-e PSU connector and it properly booted. I was again thinking yay no more problems but I put my rear fan back in and connected the PSU it was another failure. I attempted again without PSU connection with no luck. Also I would like to point out that I clean my computer atleast once a month and there was no reason that my card should have had heat problems but it still looks as though this is the case.

Here are my specs:

P4 3.8ghz LGA 775 w/ stock cooler
Intel MOBO w/ 945gz chipset (I can't believe this is what I am using now...)
1gig (512 x 2) PNY dual channel RAM
550W Antec Trio PSU
2 Evercool 80mm case fans
Antec 120mm rear fan
Maxtor 300GB 7200RPM SATA HDD

Currently not hooked up/working

BFG Geforce 7800 GT OC 256mb PCI-e EDIT: The overclock was "factory" and I would have rather done without it.
Crappy cd burner from an old pre-built compaq

What are my options? How common is this sort of problem? Suggestions please!

Edited by Titan8990, 29 March 2007 - 02:31 PM.

Advertisements

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
one thing you should do is check to make sure you didnt get any thermal paste on the underside of the CPU. i have seen that before, after reapplying the thermal the computer wont boot, but its due to the fact that there is thermal compound on the cpu contacts. try cleaning the underside of your cpu with rubbing alcohol and remounting it. also check the mount on the mobo for thermal paste, grime, etc.

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
actually, it sounds like you might have a dying power supply. I have seen quite a few that do that. They just don't put out enough power anymore, so they start failing, eventually it will stop putting out any power at all. if you have any way to test the power supply then i suggest you do. maybe try running the computer with minimal power usage. if its even possible.

i use a tester, but i do this stuff for a living.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
Sorry it boots now just only w/o the graphics card. I was thinking that the cd drive could have damaged the psu. The computer wouldn't boot with just the IDE unplugged from the board, it didn't work until i disconnected the power connector. The psu is only 4 months old.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I thought I should add this just so you all have 100% information. When I was messing around in there I managed to break a couple plastic pieces that held my mobo up. I replaced them with rolled up, flat, athletic tape.

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
you replaced it with tape?!?!? Dude, your power supply sounds like it needs to be replaced. you took off your graphics card which means a lot less power is being pumped out of your power supply, which means that everything else should run fine. you replaced posts with tape?!@?!? thats not a good thing in any case. I am sorta afraid right now, as is my IT boss. I dont even like replacing bare cable with electricians tape.

If i am wrong, shoot me.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I am sorry again for the confussion. All the tape is doing is spacing the mobo from the plate that it mounts on in order to be able to mount the graphics card.

After doing some thinking I want to be more specific about what I am asking. Has anyone every returned a video card for repair? Anyone know what sort of thing voids the warrenty? I was reading the list of things and it looked as though it should have said "If you use this graphics card warrenty is void", because thats what I took it to mean. I don't think I have misused this in any way. Does anyone see a reason that BFG might not repair it for me? I attempted to call them and ask that question myself but I gave up after 45min on hold. After about 5min it told me a estimated wait time of 1.5 minutes.....

Also I hope to find someone at my work with a PCI-e slot that is willing to let me try out the card on their machine to ensure that it is the card. I have another Antec PSU but it is only 400 watts and the recomened for my card is 450 but I will give it a try anyways.

Since my PSU is only 4 months old (today!) I would hope that it would also still be under warrenty. Anyone know what would void the warrenty on it? I still have the box that it came in but not paperwork. I may or may not have a recipt (it was a gift). Lastly what do you all think about Antec PSUs? I have always bought Antec fans and PSUs becuase I had known them to be quality products.

Edited by Titan8990, 01 April 2007 - 01:15 PM.

Dryfter

Dryfter

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I'm a big fan of seasonic. They are rock solid and they're quite. If i remember correctly antec is pretty good, but i would try seasonic, fortron, enermax. ocz and thermaltake are ok. anything else i would try to stay away from.

From what you're describing it does sound like a failing psu. In reference to the tape holding the mobo... go to your nearest computer store and ask them for mobo mounting screws or the little white brackets. Tape and computers usually don't mix.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I just checked the retail price on my PSU and its $130.... Only 4 months old.... *pulls hair out*.....

What could I have done to cause damage to my PSU since it doesn't appear its life cycle should be done?

The tape is only temporary but I was throwing that out there in case it could be a major problem.

EDIT: I miscalculated the PSU is actually only 3 months old

EDIT#2: I reread my original post and I would like to add that other than one time that I forgot to connect the power to the graphics card and it started up was the only time that worked. I attempted it one other time.

Edited by Titan8990, 02 April 2007 - 01:22 PM.

Titan8990

Titan8990

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,189 posts
I talked to Fenor in chat and he suggested that I try resetting my CMOS. It worked :whistling:! Thanks Fenor.