Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Sound Problem

• Please log in to reply

Lancaster

Lancaster

• Pip
  • 8 posts
Apologies if this has been raised before but I have done a search and can't find an answer to this query.

My CD drive is operating and the player indicates that it is playing but no sound is coming through the laptop's speakers.
I ran Ahampoo last week and wonder if it may have deleted the drivers. I have tried a system restore but I get a message that this can't be done.

It is a Toshiba Satellite A30 and I have searched their website but it sas there are no soundcard drivers available.

Does anyone have any ideas? Any help will be much appreciated.

Advertisements

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
you sure its an A30? their website does not seem to even support them driver-wise. But i do know they exist, i am reading reviews, all of which say horrible things regarding that laptop. So its probably not surprising that your sound does not work. anyway.
Looking around i cant seem to find any sort of drivers for it, but what you can do is hook up some headphones to the headphone jack to make sure that it is not a speaker failure. So if you don't get any sound out of your headphones, just make sure the sound setup is properly configured, and if it is, then you will probably have to have the sound card replaced. providing its under warranty.
I had a similiar problem with a workstation here today, but i just reinstalled the drivers, rebooted and it worked.

oh also you can check the bios to make sure that audio is enabled.

=/ my thoughts are really scattered right now

Lancaster

Lancaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the reply. It's definitely an A30, about 4 years old so it's well out of warranty but I am surprised Toshiba don't have drivers on their website. I'll follow your suggestions and seee what happens.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Try here

http://uk.computers.....jsp?service=UK

You can either look for sound only or all, then click search, you may need to add before 2002

Lancaster

Lancaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks for the reply. I see there are some drivers there but they refer to earlier operating systmes - 2000 and ME. Mine is running XP Home - does that matter?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You should find this

[attachment=13725:Screensh...12_39_40.png]

Lancaster

Lancaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thanks again. I obviously searched on the wrong model (Satellite 3XX) thinking that was mine but I have now found it. I will download asap (that machine is at home) and try that.

The help is much appreciated.