Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

been refered here form malware forum. slow pc

• Please log in to reply

fortuitous

fortuitous

• PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there,
my computer has started going ridiculously slow! it takes about 45 seconds from when i press ctrl+alt+del for the process list to come up. just yesterday morning it was fine, and now this. i have run AVG and AdAware, and spydoctor to no avail. please help me get my computer back to its normal speed. many thanks

CPU Type ::: AMD Athlon 64, 2400 MHz (12 x 200) 3800+
Motherboard Name::: MSI K9N Ultra (MS-7250 v2) (3 PCI, 3 PCI-E x1, 1 PCI-E x16, 4 DDR2 DIMM, Audio, Gigabit LAN):::
Motherboard Chipset ::: nVIDIA nForce 570 Ultra, AMD Hammer
Video Adapter ::: NVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS (512 MB)
3D Accelerator ::: nVIDIA GeForce 7600 GS
RAM ::: 1GB DDR2 533MHz PC2-4200 240pin
Disk Drive ::: Hitachi HDT725032VLA360 (320 GB, 7200 RPM, SATA-II)

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
It is possible that your data transfer method has reverted to Programmed Input-Output (PIO) from the default Direct Memory Access (DMA). This can occur after a number of repeated errors. It can be reset manually. Open device manager and expand IDE ATA\ATAPI controllers. Double click "Primary IDE channel, and go to the "Advanced" tab. Once there, use the drop-down menu box to select "Auto Detection" in the top box, and "DMA if available" for the bottom box. Then do the same for the "Secondary channel." Of course, this begs the question of why it might have happened in the first place. Here is some additional information:
http://purpleflux.co...ves/001897.html
As mentioned in your referral, there may be hardware issues involved. Others will be better able to advise in that regard. You don't say what, if anything your were doing relative to the onset of the problem. Updates? New programs? Tweaks? New themes or graphics? Major un-installs? Added new hardware? Please post back with your progress, and as many details as you can remember.

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
hi there, thanks for the help, ill try your suggestion now. i have installed new start up screens and themes lately. and just general messing about on the internet. ill get rid of the themes and see if that helps, many thanks

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
From the reports I have read from users who applied changes to boot screens and the Welcome screen, I have decided for myself that it constitutes too much of a risk for the small amount of eye candy I could get.

fortuitous

fortuitous

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 99 posts
do you have any idea how to remove the themes and start-up screen? i have gone into the program i used to set them and undone all the changes i made, but it hasn't actually undone anything, bloody rubbish programme, it was tune up utilities 2007 i used, but now have no idea how to put them back! i shouldent mess around with these things lol

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Can you do a system restore to before you made the changes?
start/accessories/system tools/system restore.....choose your date

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Or, failing that, move to a new account: http://support.micro...om/?kbid=811151
If I ran the world, every program that made such changes would have an option: "restore original defaults."