Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

S-video and DVI-I

• Please log in to reply

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
I got a 7600 GS nVidia Graphics card and I was wondering how to get my movies on my computer onto my tv. My graphics card has S-video capabilities but all that shows up on the tv is the boot screen and then it does not show anything else on the tv.
Can anybody lead me in the right direction in how to display my movies on my tv?
PS: my video card is also equipped with two DVI-I ports.

Advertisements

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
One thing you can do is after you get the computer booted up, go into the desktop properties > settings tab, and check for a shadowed screen labelled 2 or 3 in the box. should look something like the pic below. when you see that box click on the #2 screen, and select the "extend my windows desktop onto this monitor" and the screen should pop up on your tv.

now you can play your movies on the tv screen, by dragging the media player over to the tv side, and selecting full screen.

if that doesnt work then you'll have to fiddle around in the "advanced" section of the settings area, but that can get somewhat technical.

let me know if you've already tried this.

Attached Thumbnails

• Screenshot01.jpg

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
Thanks that did work but it is only in black and white on my one bigger tv and my smaller one it does show color but that screen is even smaller then my monitor so there is no point. Also they are both just very poor quality.
I was researching about a DVI to component video adapter and found this.

http://sewelldirect....ItoComponentRCA

Do you think if I buy one of these I will get better quality picture and color. (I thought that only one wire was video and the other two were sound. So then why does this adapter have three wires if only one of the wires is the video.)

Edited by jackflash1991, 29 March 2007 - 05:54 PM.

w0lverine

w0lverine

• PipPipPip
  • 102 posts
well that is entirely possible, but i doubt that it would be any different. in the same menu, there is a drop down box that gives you color choices, you can see if it is listed as only 4 bit, or 16 bit, you can bring it up to 32 bit and see if that helps, otherwise it might be a setting on your tv itself. try opening up the menu on your tv and check to see if the connection is set to B&W.

once again, the advanced settings in the menu also has quite a few different choices, it might be set at a incorrect refresh rate for your tv's own settings... which i doubt would affect color, but take a look around in there for a color setting for the second screen.

jackflash1991

jackflash1991

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 610 posts
What exactly does B&W mean? I can't seem to find anything on my tv's menu that says B&W. Also it is in its highest 32bit and highest 25 Hertz refresh rate and is still flickering and black and white. I also messed around with the color management and nothing seemed to work.

Edited by jackflash1991, 31 March 2007 - 06:07 PM.