Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Startup, Long Beep, No Post, No Video

• Please log in to reply

Tobeychris

Tobeychris

• Pip
  • 5 posts
I have a Gigabyte 915P motherboard
2 x 200 gb hd
2 x 512 kingston ram
dvd rw and dvd reader
floppy drive
Thermaltake 500W Butterfly PSU
Pentium 4 3.2 CPU
Thermaltake Silentcool CPU cooler
ATI x1950pro Graphics card.

Everything was working fine for the past 3 months (since I upgraded the vc) but then I noticed a fan was going, so I replaced the fan and bought a fan controller at the same time. Installed all the parts, went to start up... and there's no video. Restarted, and I get a long beep but still no video. After looking at it, it doesn't seem to post (as there's no login sound after a min or so) and the hd's don't seem to spin up. Everything APPEARS to be working fine, but just incase I replaced the video card, to no avail, as well as the ram as the booklet says 1 long beep is a memory refresh error (????). took the system appart, tried it with the old parts barebone, new parts barebone, but I have no idea. I've seen people talk of possible BIOS problems, but I don't see how as it's never given trouble before. Any thoughts?

Advertisements

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
take 1 stick of ram out and try again

Tobeychris

Tobeychris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
I had the 2 x 512 DDR, so i tried 1x1024 DDR2 (as the board has 2 slots for both) and it didn't work. I tried it in each of the two slots, just incase it was picky, but still the same problem. I also can't tell if it is the ram for sure and they're just not getting power, as the system does the same thing (long beep, no post) even with no ram sticks in.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
try 1 stick of 512

Tobeychris

Tobeychris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Sorry, I'd tried that as well, with all possible combinations. Stick A in slot 1 and 2, Stick B in slot 1 and 2, Stick A in 1, B in 2, and Stick A in 2, B in 1.

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
try hooking your cpu fan to the cpu fan connecter on the board, some will not post unless there is a fan present

Tobeychris

Tobeychris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
:S Tried that as well, including NB fan, Sys Fan, and Power Fan all in their correct places. (As well as all combinations of some and none)

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts
do you have a local computer shop?

Tobeychris

Tobeychris

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
Lol, kinda hoping to avoid that. Any other thoughts?

AnthonyJ

AnthonyJ

• PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Lol, kinda hoping to avoid that. Any other thoughts?

most shops will test parts free, ask them to test your mobo with their ram