Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

CRC Error With Every Download

• Please log in to reply

ARMac

ARMac

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello all,

Recently, I've been having a curious issue with trying to download files of any sort: Namely, I'm getting a CRC error and / or corrupted file error with virtually every file I attempt to download. We're talking about Modifications for games, updates for programs, new browsers like FireFox, etc. Almost everything.

Interestingly enough, I use a fileshare program that seems to be able to download functional files. But anything I attempt to download via FireFox (latest version) or Internet Explorer, ends up being corrupt. And if you're familiar with Half-Life 2 or Counter-Strike, you're probably aware of how Steam automatically downloads updates and patches for these games when you play them online. Since these problems manifested, Steam has been unable to download the necessary updates.

I thought it might have been an issue with my laptop--maybe a virus, or some software screw-up--but two days ago I purchased another computer and it's having the same problems.

Another interesting thing is that I downloaded the latest version of FireFox off a neighbor's computer and transferred it to my new PC via a flashdrive. The program, as expected, installed correctly. When I ran FireFox, it informed me that it needed an Adobe Acrobat plug-in to view some internet files, which isn't anything unusual. What IS unusual is that the FireFox actually downloaded and installed the codec successfully, whereas ANYTHING else is tries to download ends up in a CRC error.

So I think I've narrowed it down to my modem: A Westell series for DSL internet. However, after several hours of digging through the settings on the modem, I still can't remedy the problem or even really figure out where I *should* be looking.

Here's some information to help clarify:
*My primary browser is FireFox (for both computers.)
*Both systems use Windows XP, one with SP2 and one without.
*I am not using a third-party router of any sort (such as a Linksys Wireless Router.) At the moment, only one PC is connected to the internet via an ethernet cable at any given time.
*These issues manifested in my brand new computer immediately after setting it up. The two PCs have no actual way of transferring information to one another, nor have they. I also strongly doubt the issue is ad-ware related, considering the expedience with which the new PC had the same problem. (scratching out the possibility of it being a virus.)

Any help pointing me in the right direction would be much appreciated.

Edited by ARMac, 29 March 2007 - 07:36 PM.

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
One possibility is that the files are not being transfered in binary mode, if they are being transfered in ASCII mode then everything but the text fiiles would be corrupt.

adidasman100

adidasman100

• Pip
  • 6 posts
i am having the exact same problem... how do i go about trying to turn it into binary?

ARMac

ARMac

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
It's the strangest thing...and what makes it so difficult to diagnose is the fact that it just seemed to pop up out of nowhere. I really think it has something to do with my modem, though even after calling my ISP's customer service and resetting it, it hasn't resolved the issue. I've also plugged both PCs in--one is connected to the modem via Ethernet cable; the other with USB--which *should* tell me that it has nothing to do with what people are telling me might be a "bad cable."

I was browsing a forums board for the game "STALKER" recently, and there was somebody hosting a couple of audio files on a third-party website. The audio files downloaded successfully--unlike pretty much anything else. I thought that was odd: So SOME things can download and work (albeit very few.)

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
Have either of you tried using a download manager? That might be one way of making sure your downloads work.