Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Access Denied - Scan Software failure - Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

DennConn

DennConn

• PipPip
  • 49 posts
I have a Epson perfection 3200 photo scanner, with it's software smart scan, which allows you to scan a document to a file.
I run Windows xp sp2, and havn't had a problem scanning and saving a file for over a year.
I tried to scan a picture. The scanner seemed to do everything correctly, but when i came to saving the scan to a file i got the following message:

Fine Objects:
Access to C:\Windows\System32\sapicvba.dll was denied. I could not save to a file as it came up several times and had to close the program. I tried to re-install the software several times, which included un-installing and then re-installing it. No luck

I tried to restore Windows to a earlier version, but It wouldn't restore to more than a week ago....even though it indicated it could.
This failing, I then used Norton Ghost 10 to restore the whole operating system and programs to a past backup.
This worked and I could then scan documents and save them to a file.

However, once again this last week, I tried to scan a picture and save the picture to a file and got the following message.

Fine Objects:
Access to C:\Windows\System32\sndopmak.dll was denied and I could not save the scan. even though the scan seemed to work ok but couldn't save it.

I again tried to reinstall the software several times and no luck, same message. I also again tried to restore the op system to a prior time, but it doesn't work. Something is going wrong.

I did call the Epson tech support and they said it was a windows problem and they could help me.
I wanted to see if anyone on here had the same problem.

The scanner seems to work, but I can't save the scan or get access to it because of these error codes...which mean nothing to me, except the dll file is locked and my program can't get access to it..

I appreciate any help someone might have, or who to contact at microsoft to get help....

Denny

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Do you use any registry cleaners?

Has the anti virus or any of the anti spyware programmes quarantined those files

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
I have used system mechanic, but i have used it several times before. I think everything was fine after I used it, but can't verify it.
It also seems that when i got this problem both times with differend dll files. the Norton Ghost was not able to connect to its source or something, as i got warning messages on Norton ghost. Not sure why.

I use Zone Labs, and did recently upgrade to the latest version, not sure why it would deny access to that file. I did check on Zone Labs on the file SNDOPMAK.DLL, and for access on program control it had a green check mark under access column.
I assume it allowed access to the file.

I sure don't want to do a complete reload of windows xp.

thanks for the rapid response. I continue to check on Microsoft's site for ideas.....

Denny

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
I have Epson Scan but tend to use smart panel

If Norton restored it, something must be removing files, though odd that re-installing didn't help

Have you tried downloading from Epson as most of their software is available

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Keith,

I use Epson Smart Panel as well, that is the program I can't get to save to file....Everything works fine up untill I select a file and do a save to file, then I get the message. I keep clicking on it, but it doesn't save the scanned image.

I contacted epson and talked with their tech staff. Although out of warranty, they indicated i might have a problem with Windows xp.
They seem to think that some way xp is not allowing Epson Smart Panel to access the dll file.

An Email I got from the Epson connection (Attached) suggested deleting and making a change to the registry. I havn't done this as i am a bit leery to mess with the registry. If I get totally desperate I might try it. (If you read the attachment your thoughts will be appreciated)

I agree it is odd that a total restore didn't help. I have tried over a dozen times to re-install and to do a uninstall and re-install and as many combinations as possible. I have the origional cd the package came with.
I have not tried to down load the Epson software.

When I did a Norton Ghost 10 re-install. I backed up with NOrton Ghost back in Dec or 2006, and restored to that point. It worked ok, just had to re-install a few programs it messed up, but i got the whole XP working again. And after that restore, I re-installed Epson Smart Panel, and it worked fine. i scanned and saved fine.

And all of a sudden when i try it a few weeks later, Blam...i get the second failure to print message. And both times it is a different "Access Denied dll file.

It must be something a program is locking or something.

I am still at a loss.

Denny

Attached Files

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Create a new folder in My documents

To back up the registry, click start then run, type regedit then press enter, click file, then export

The dot should be in all for export range, save the file to the new folder, name it by date

The other part isn't as highbrow as it sounds / looks

Click the plus next to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE then the + next to software, then the + next to Epson to look for the scanner entries, left click its folder then click delete and confirm

Do the same for HKEY_CURRENT_USER

If it differs from the above, close the registry editor without deleting anything and post back to say what you found instead

DennConn

DennConn

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 49 posts
Keith,
Ok Here is what I was able to do. I followed your and Epson's instructions to the letter. The one I attached last time. I went to Regedit, but Epson Scan was not on either the HKey_Local_machine, or in the HKey_current_user. I thus did not delete anything. I did however down load the new drivers, and what epson calls a new module for Epson Scan, and installed it . I also then re-installed the scanner, and rebooted. I got the Epson Scan part to work, I can now scan using the "Full Auto Mode". However when I try to switch to the Professional mode which brings up the Epson Smart pannel window. I get the same prior error and can't save it to a file. The message is still the same one. Access to C:\Windows\System32\sndopmak.dll was denied.

I then tried to reinstall Smart pannel, and that didn't work, as i then couldn't use the scanner in either mode, I couldn't even start the Epson Scan mode. So I tried to delet smart pannel the same way, and reinstall it, but no luck. I tried several ways of re-installing smart pannel, as I like the ability to vary the resolution and size of the document. However, I was not able to get smart pannel working. I even had to go back and un-install Epson Scan again and re-install the new downloaded programs to get it working.

I now have Epson Scan working on a Automatic mode. I can start Epson Smart Pannel, and every thing seems to go ok, the scan does it's job, it scans in preview, then in Scan mode. So I feel it is scanning. But when I come to close and save to a file. It gets that message.

I at least have the ability to do a scan, but I cannot scan multiple documents at one time and then save to a file.

Any other thoughts. I am about running out of thoughts.

Denny

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Include hidden and system files, look for sndopmak.dll

I have an Epson 4870 and do not have sndopmak.dll

If you google sndopmak.dll you get a link to this thread