Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Help Me Build A Standalone Cd/Dvd Duplicator!

• Please log in to reply

superstar

superstar

• PipPipPip
  • 718 posts
Project:
I want to build a standalone cd/dvd duplicator from scratch. I have intermediate pc knowledge when it comes to computer components and building pcs (which is very similar to building a standalone cd/dvd duplicator). So I am smart enough to understand whomever would be helping me. I've wanted to build one for the longest time because I am in the sound recording industry. Therefore I run into musicians everyday who always ask me where they can have batch duplication done for their original music. Secondly the price for already built units is pretty hefty (from $900 up to $10,000). I know I can waive this cost by buying the parts needed to build one.

Price:
From what I've read up on, and pretty much gathered I believe this is all I need:
(I may be missing some stuff.)

- Cd/Dvd Duplicator Controller > Approx $100

Posted Image

- IDE Cables > $5 Each

Posted Image

- Dvd Burners > $22 Each

Posted Image

- Power Supply > $20

Posted Image

- Duplicator Case > $50

Posted Image

- Hard Drive (Optional) > $50

Posted Image

Note: There is possibly more I need or some of the items such as power supply may have to be special made to power all drives, that or daisy chained/piggy backed. The ide cables might have to be different or the newer skinny kind to avoid heat build up. I don't really know since I've never built a duplicator that's why I need help.

Objective:
My objective is to have an identical stand alone system like the ones you can buy online or at pc stores. I want to be able to do mass disc burning and possibly buy some sort of thermal printer on the side so it can put titles/logos on the top layer of the disc. As for the cd/dvd duplication controller, it must be a good one with many features (most importantly being able to burn 9 or 10 discs at the same time/automatic session). I don't know if the controller burns each disc at a time while the other disc waits in the drive, or if they all burn at once. Regardless this is stuff we can cover along the process. Finally the burning drives must be of top quality capable of handling mass burns.

Help Wanted:
I need someone who has the knowledge to help me do this from start to finish who has experience in this field, and people that can give me very important ideas/info. I basically don't want to get stuck making this halfway.

Related Info:
The are the only two pages I could find with the best information on how to build one. Though they don't delve that much into details so it leaves the mind wondering about certain steps or components:

Page 1
Page 2

- Thank You

Your help is greatly appreciated!!!

Edited by Fenor, 30 March 2007 - 02:39 AM.

Advertisements

lostguy

lostguy

• Pip
  • 1 posts
in basics you have all you need. All you have to do is build the duplicator. You must buy the amunt of burners you need, the burning is made on the fly in all disc at the same time, if they do one at time it will be pointless build a duplicator with that amount of burners.

But have in mind that the controler you buy have a maxim number of burners to atach. So think about how many burners you need. Also you need al least two good power suply in the case, to power up the controler and the burners.

And finaly put several very good coolers fans, because that thing is going to blow a lot of heat when burning. And use a good media discs to burn.