Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cant get anymore microsoft/windows updates

• Please log in to reply

dirkalbright

dirkalbright

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
Hi, I've searched everywhere for a solution to this and I cant seem to find an answer. I've been trying to get Microsoft updates but everytime I go to the webpage with internet explorer all It does is freeze up. Same thing with automatic updates, it freezes up at 9% or never even starts at all. Please let me know what I need to do. Im running windows XP professional service pack 2. I have comcast internet with a linksys router.

HijackThis log removed

Edited by Fenor, 30 March 2007 - 02:41 AM.

Advertisements

cheyenne 09

cheyenne 09

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,258 posts
Hi Dirkalbright
Welcome To Geeks To Go Please try this Link and see if you can Download updates now choose the Express Option Good Luck

Microsoft Windows Updates Link
http://update.micros...t.aspx?ln=en-us

:whistling: Cheyenne 09 :blink:

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Download/install Dial-a-Fix from here:
http://www.softpedia...ial-a-fix.shtml
Launch the program,place a check in the box:
'Fix Windows Update'.
Then click on 'GO'.
Make sure you then press:
'Flush SoftwareDistribution'.
Then restart your pc,let me know what happens please.

dirkalbright

dirkalbright

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Download/install Dial-a-Fix from here:
http://www.softpedia...ial-a-fix.shtml
Launch the program,place a check in the box:
'Fix Windows Update'.
Then click on 'GO'.
Make sure you then press:
'Flush SoftwareDistribution'.
Then restart your pc,let me know what happens please.

Hey I did everything that you said, but during the dial-a-fix process I got this error: C:\windows\system32\wuaueng.dll (version)

error- 2147023824

It still finished though and when I restarted the computer it was still freezing whenever I tried to access microsoft updates and automatic updates were turned off. What do you suggest next?

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Go to Start> Run and type services.msc then press the <Enter> key. Scroll down to Background Intelligent Transfer Service and double click it. In the Startup type: box set it to Manual. Click Apply> OK. Now scroll up to Automatic Updates and double click it. In the Startup type: box set it to Automatic. Click the Start button then click Apply> OK. Close out of Services. See if you can access the updates now. If not download fixWU.zip and unzip it. Double click on [b]fixWU.bat. Click [b]OK in each box that pops up. Try Windows Update again.

Attached Files

Edited by Whiskeyman, 30 March 2007 - 11:52 AM.

dirkalbright

dirkalbright

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

Go to Start> Run and type services.msc then press the <Enter> key. Scroll down to Background Intelligent Transfer Service and double click it. In the Startup type: box set it to Manual. Click Apply> OK. Now scroll up to Automatic Updates and double click it. In the Startup type: box set it to Automatic. Click the Start button then click Apply> OK. Close out of Services. See if you can access the updates now. If not download fixWU.zip and unzip it. Double click on [b]fixWU.bat. Click [b]OK in each box that pops up. Try Windows Update again.

Thanks~!. Ok I did all of that just like you said and i was able to access the windows update webpage for a small second and then it froze right back up again and the automtic update shield went from 9% to 13%. Now im right back to not being able to do anything...this is crazy..lol.
Any help would be welcomed.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
I would say it's time to rule out malware.

Read this;

You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Required steps before posting your log.

Then post a HJT log here;

Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

dirkalbright

dirkalbright

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts

I would say it's time to rule out malware.

Read this;

You Must Read This Before Posting A Hijackthis Log, Required steps before posting your log.

Then post a HJT log here;

Malware Removal - HiJackThis Logs Go Here

Ok you just confused me. You say I should rule out malware, but you want me to post a hijackthis log in the malware forum~?. Will that help me out if I do?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
He is instructing you to post a HijackThis log so we can rule out malware as the issue.