Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

help with macros please!

• Please log in to reply

chocofluff

chocofluff

• Pip
  • 1 posts
Hi, I'm a newby here. How do I make a macro? Can it only be done in Word? I know it's something to do with recording information and assigning it to a key on the keyboard. I have tried to make one and read the instructions in Word but can only view it again when going in tools, macros etc. I thought all you had to do was go on a new page in Word and hit the correct key.
Help please?

Choco

Advertisements

fozziebear

fozziebear

• PipPip
  • 80 posts
Posted Image to G2G

Some reading material

Create a macro - Word - Microsoft Office Online

Macros demystified: What they are and why to use them - Help and ...

Creating a macro with no programming experience using the recorder

piper

piper

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,459 posts
Hi chocofluff. Welcome to Geeks to Go!

All of the Office suite have Macros.

When you click Tools, Macro, Record New Macro, you should get the "Record Macro" dialog box. This is where you name the new macro, assign it to a Toolbar or Keyboard, and designate where it will be stored.

Assigning the macro to a Toolbar or Keyboard: If you choose Keyboard, you'll get a dialog box that shows all currently assigned keystrokes and gives you the option of assigning a keystroke to the new macro.

When to store the macro: The choices are "All Documents (Normal.dot)" or "Document1 (document)". If you store it in "All Documents (Normal.dot)", it will be available in each new document you create. The Normal.dot file is the default startup template for Word. If you choose "Document1 (document)", the macro will only be stored in the current document.

I just created a simple macro in Word to select all text and change the font color to green. I assigned "Alt+8" as the keystroke and stored it in "All Documents (Normal.dot)". I closed Word, reopened, typed some text, and keyed in my macro keystroke. Everything changed to green.

Hope this helps.