Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Window xp wont start

• Please log in to reply

shell38

shell38

• PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Hi

Well i am having trouble with my daughters pc big time, had trouble with the hard drive and had to put new one in and re-install windows xp proffesional with service pack 2. it was al up and running lovely when this was done at the weekend with no probs.

Then yesterday she turned the pc on and this is what happened. It did not load windows instead it came up with a black screen with the folowing:

Windows could not start up because the following file is missing or corrupt

<windows root> \system 32 \ntoskrnl.exe

please re-install the the file to continue.

Well i inserted the cd booted it up hoping to go into the repair screen, huh no such luck it wld not allow me to do anything. can get the bios screen up and the list of menu screen ie safe mode and with promt etc, but no matter which one i click on, it just goes back to the black screen. Have done a search on google about this and most places are telling you to put the cd in and type in when the comand promt comes up but it does not come up for me, no matter what i do, the other solution they say is start in safe mode run anti viurs etc but again this will not let me do it.........

could someone please please help me with this problem, its so frustrating as she has alot of course work now put bk on the new hardrive and she will be doing her gcse after easter and needs it.

many thanx
shell

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
<windows root> \system 32 \ntoskrnl.exe i believe can be related to a keyboard fault...do you have a nother keyboard that you could try using? plug in the new keyboard and then boot the system

http://www.computerh...es/ch000646.htm

shell38

shell38

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 119 posts
Thanx for the link, i have tried to format the hard drive since i posted this, but now it will not let me install any windows at the moment, although the windows is not a direct xp a copy but have the product key for it. So what i have done now is ordered a new genuine xp proffesional, and trying that but it will b some days for i get that. so i did not get a chance to try the keyboard, but reading that link wld say it wld prob have something to do with the hard drive although its been working fine for almost a week, and its a brand new hard drive. trouble is that the one that was in there was a 40g gb and i have put a 160 in but the mother board is only reocnising 40 cld this b the prob.

Many thanx
Shell