Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

no internet on linksys router w/ netgear adapter

• Please log in to reply

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
This is not good.

We are receiving a private IP address from the router and it is not causing us to receive a normal one.

When you see your network, do you see a channel number for example, 1,6,11

By the way, a good amount of sleep last night did the trick!

Advertisements

minerniener

minerniener

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
it lets me online now, but i still cannot reset my ip and my internet connection stops working after about 5-10 minutes, even though it looks fine through the netgear screen. it works if i restart my computer. is that just a problem with my computer? what about the ip thing?

at least i can check my email i guess

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
I had the same problem with a older pc with a USB network adapter.... it turned out the PC is to old...

Also, do you know what channel your network is on?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

This is not good.

We are receiving a private IP address from the router and it is not causing us to receive a normal one.

When you see your network, do you see a channel number for example, 1,6,11

By the way, a good amount of sleep last night did the trick!

When you run ipconfig or similar on a computer behind a router, it displays a private IP. If those are what she posted, there's nothing to worry about. You can go to www.ventrilo.com/myip.php to see your IP as the rest of the world sees it. I would recommend not posting it though, its not that great of an idea to have your IP on a forum with many users skilled with computers.

Edited by stettybet0, 01 April 2007 - 01:25 PM.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Thanks stetty.. Ill get it removed ASAP.

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
But also, the private IP is not getting her online stetty?

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
heres what im seeing:

she says she can get online, but not reset her IP. This is due to the fact that, unless you assign a static IP, your router will always assign you the lowest value available. (ie... on my router the private IPs available are 192.168.1.100 through 192.168.1.999 —i think... havent tried that high— but when I let the DCHP assign me an IP, it is always 192.168.1.100.) So I'm figuring this is what is happening to her.

The connection time of 5-10 minutes probably indicates problems on the ISP side, or you are losing your signal.

Also, posting private IPs isn't a security threat, because if I went and typed 192.168.1.1 into my browser, I would come up with my router settings. If you did that, probably nothing would happen, unless we happen to have the same router, and in that case you would access your router settings. It's only public IPs that can be a security issue, but I'm not going to elaborate...

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Yeah, its like I live down the street from you :whistling:

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
WPA2 was invented for a reason :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Stinks that my router only supports WEP.. I want WPA-PSK!

Advertisements

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts
why... thats almost as bad as WEP...

"WPA is designed for use with an IEEE 802.1X authentication server, which distributes different keys to each user; however, it can also be used in a less secure "pre-shared key" (PSK) mode, where every user is given the same pass-phrase."

hmm, I shouldn't say as bad as WEP... an amateur programmer can make a program to crack a WEP key in 30 minutes. :whistling:

ultimateslacker2

ultimateslacker2

Member 1K

• Retired Staff
  • 1,581 posts
Well I live in a surburban neighborhood. No one on my street can do that.. I am probably the most computer literate around here haha

minerniener

minerniener

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
im on channel 11. it is letting me online every time now, and the only problem is the getting booted after 5 minutes thing. the other computer continues to work no problem, so it can't be the isp or router or anything like that... so this all could be because the good computer is a new xp and mine is an old ME? like the computer can't handle it? is that what you were saying about an older pc, us2?

is there something worse that can happen than someone finding what neighborohood i live in by my ip address? yipes

i use a wep passcode, but i have the option of choosing wpa-psk since i did the last driver update. should i change it? there are an abundance of unlocked wifi signals in my condo complex, so i don't think there's a great chance of anyone needing to take the time to break into mine, but i wanna do whatever's smart.

thanks for helping me everybody!

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

im on channel 11. it is letting me online every time now, and the only problem is the getting booted after 5 minutes thing. the other computer continues to work no problem, so it can't be the isp or router or anything like that... so this all could be because the good computer is a new xp and mine is an old ME? like the computer can't handle it? is that what you were saying about an older pc, us2?

is there something worse that can happen than someone finding what neighborohood i live in by my ip address? yipes

i use a wep passcode, but i have the option of choosing wpa-psk since i did the last driver update. should i change it? there are an abundance of unlocked wifi signals in my condo complex, so i don't think there's a great chance of anyone needing to take the time to break into mine, but i wanna do whatever's smart.

thanks for helping me everybody!

Actually, I don't think they could find out where you live, unless you have that info saved on your computer. That's because someone with your IP can look at everything on your computer if they know how.

And WPA-PSK is way better than WEP, but worse than WPA and WPA2. I'd say switch. You never know when some kid will try to get your WEP key "just to see if I could".

minerniener

minerniener

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 20 posts
when i log in, it gives me a place to put in a wpa-psk, but on the 192.168.1.1 page thing it only has the choices wep, wpa personal, wpa enterprise, wpa2 personal, wpa2 enterprise, and radius. is it one of those, or do i not actually have the option of choosing wpa-psk?