Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

PC Booster/optimizer

• Please log in to reply

derek

derek

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hello!
I purchased a PC booster/troubleshooter/optimizer program after seeing a
demonstration on QVC. (System Mechanic4). Oh dear!! What have I done?
After installing and running the disk everything has gone haywire. All the icons on
desktop have duplicated themselves and are accompanied by a load of symbols
instead of the usual text description. In addition to that the Address bar and
Tool bar have been disrupted. I responded to this by clicking on the desktop
and going through properties and then trying to restore some sort of order.
But on rebooting to 'fix' the changes, all the symbols have returned. I have repeated
this exercise on countless occasions with similar results. I accept that when one
loads these things on to the PC it's "at the users risk" I have now returned
the item for a refund. But now I am left with a very annoying problem. I would be
be grateful if anyone can come up with a solution.
Many Thanks

T.T.F.N.
DEREK.

Advertisements

dodo678@hotmail.com

dodo678@hotmail.com

• Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi Derek

Have you uninstalled the original program you bought from qvc and has it definitely been removed from control panel add/removed?

Doreen

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Welcome Derek <_<

Try System Restore. Start -> All Programs -> Accessories -> System Tools -> System Restore, simply select a date before the program was installed and the problems began. :D

derek

derek

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Hi admin
Many thanks for your prompt reply. I'm sorry to have to tell you that I have tried the action you recommend on a number of occaisions
without success. To give some idea of the problem......the first indication of a problem, starts when the blue' Welcome' screen comes up.......the word 'welcome' is replaced by a string of symbols of indefinable shapes. Thanks again for your efforts to solve the problem.
I look forward to any other ideas you may have. Regards,
T.T.F.N.
DEREK

admin

admin

Founder Geek

• Administrator
  • 24,504 posts
Have you looked in System Mechanic to see if there's an undo function. I have used this program before, and I thought it worked well. However, it does change registry settings, and it sounds as though your registry is corrupted. Odd that a system restore doesn't work. <_<