Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

images appear to be corrupted

• Please log in to reply

particle9

particle9

• Pip
  • 6 posts
Hello every one, I have never had to make an account to post a problem before, but I have looked all over the net and no one is addressing my problem so here it goes.

I downloaded a program that made my computer go screwy. I feared I had downloaded a virus or adware or sometyhing. So I performed a low level format to wipe out the problem. I have formated my computer many many times, so Im pretty familiar with the process and what my computer needs after I reinstall windows. However, this time when I load up certain web sites, the images look corrupted. Half of them look like they are eaten by green and bright pink or have banding lines in them or both.

At first I was only looking at my web site so I thought I had massive data corruption on my server. So to try and salvage my work, I loged into my server and started downloading the files off of my server and into a folder on my hard drive. The images looked corrupted just as they looked on the web. This got me really upset becasue I thought I was loosing all my work. As it turned out no one else had a problem with their downloaded images from my site, nor are they having any problems viewing it. my web site looks fine to them, and any jpegs they get from it are perfect, I was relieved that all my graphic design and illustration work had not been destroyed, but that meant the problem was somewhere else. So that narrowed it down to something on my computer being screwy. I started thinking it was an Internet explorer 6 problem. so to double check this I installed some other browsers and looked at my web site. I still had the banding and corrupted image problem in the other browsers, thought it wasnt quite as extensive as it is in IE6. I thought ok maybe the browsers just dont like something about the site, so I looked at some other web sites, and I had image corruption problems with them as well.

I looked on the internet for image rendering problems, web site image corruption problems, etc and came across some information about a vulnerability windows XP has. The symptoms being quoted seemed to be exactly the problem I was having, however after installing the patch, the problem still exists.

So Im thinking it has to be a system problem somewhere, but then that doesn't make sense to me because I have completed a fresh install of the system on a newly formated hard drive. Normally any problem Ive ever had just gets fixed with a format, so this is really bugging me. I also thought perhapse its a video card problem. So I made sure all of my proper drivers were installed. Any system software that was on my computer from when it was working properly is installed now. The problem is still there. Also my original design work and jpeg collection on my hard drives are all 100% fine. So I dont think its a hard drive data corruption problem. In fact Im sure of that. my drives have been properly patched, and Im running service pack 2. Any ways I'm just at a complete loss and I need help. Any information that can be given to help with this problem would be greatly appreciated. Thank you for your time and attention.

My web site is www.particle9productions.com If you go there you probably wont see any banding lined or corrupted images. but if you do please let me know.

Advertisements

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
It might just be the monitor. Have you tried a different one? I have a similar situation on my laptop. I'm told the screen itself is failing. Viewing the same material on an exterior monitor shows no corruption at all.

particle9

particle9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I have not tried that, that's a good idea I'll have to give it a try. Though Im doubting it's the monitor. everything was working fine until I downloaded that program a couple days ago that made my computer go buggy. After I formatted, most of my problems were gone, but this one is still here.

The thing that is weird to me is that it only happens with the internet on mostly larger images. It almost seems like when the image is being downloaded. windows interperites it wrong, and shows a garbled web site image only on some pages.

The rest of any other image on my hard drives, CD's my desk top, it all looks fine. If the monitor was the problem wouldn't the problem be cropping up other places too?

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
Yes, you're right. I did not understand that it was just web images.

particle9

particle9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
hey I just wanted to let you know I know for sure now it is not the monitor. I plugged my monitor in to my lap top, and looked at the same web pages, and it works perfectly. So we can safely rule that out.

Near as I can figure, it is something that either windows, or a hardware componant of the computer that is interpreting the image data coming in from the internet incorrectly. It seems to build a jpeg differently each time it loads.

Say for instance I go in and clear my temporary internet files, well then IE has to redownload them from the server. So each time I force it to download the files, they show up with different artifacts, and different corruption looking issues. As I said before I know the images are not corrupt, because they look fine on other computers, so it has to be something on this computer. And the fact that it only affects images from the web would make you think its a browser problem. but I also tried Mozilla and Netscape. They have the problem too.

I also ran a memory test. It didn't turn up anything either. So according to those results my memory is fine.

Edited by particle9, 31 March 2007 - 02:00 PM.

particle9

particle9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
I found this article and it may be my answer.

http://www.gordonfamily.com/AMD

It's probably the closest article Ive seen to my problem. The only difference really that I can see is that my processor was working fine, before I downloaded the program that screwed everything up. I am running an AMD Athlon though, and I am running IE 6 so my system is a little different.

So I guess Ill try this out.

particle9

particle9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
okie doke, so I downloaded the AMD processor diagnostic and ran it, and it came up with nothing. I figured it was a long shot but to no avail. I guess the only way to know for certain would be to swap the processor, however I don't have an ectra to swap out for this machine. hmm.... another interesting thing that happened was I decided to try and install IE 7 to see if that helped. when I downloaded the file and tried to install it, it told me a required resource can not be located.

if I had gotten a virus could that have gone to my Bios? and if so could that be the problem here?

particle9

particle9

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
wow.... can't beleive no one was able to help me here. Any ways just for future reference I got my problem fixed. It appeared my fears may have been correct. It was one of several things. It was either, My bios needed to be flashed, which I did, or it was another format, or maybe the order in which I was loading in all my drivers, (the driver loading order had never caused this in the past) So the cause of all my grief was one of these, but Im not sure which one because I flashed the Bios, formated, and changed my driver boot order all at the same time.

So if anyone ever comes across this issue, one of those three things could be the problem. I was reading a bunch of articles that took me in the wrong directions I think, I didn't get results from any of them, but this fixed it for me. I hope that this thread can help some one else out there who has this same problem, because appearently no one knew how to help me, and there were no articles diagnosing this particular problem that I could find. Toodles