Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Dell will not load into Windows XP

• Please log in to reply

Psychotic1

Psychotic1

• PipPip
  • 14 posts
Here's one for you.
I'm trying to get a Dell Inspiron 2500 to boot up. When I hit the power button, everything goes like it is supposed to until the Windows XP logo pops up. It will look as if it is loading but then after a minute or so, I get the blue screen with some words on it that comes and goes before I can hit pause to see what it says. Then the thing will go into the select ' safe mode ' options screen as if hitting F8. So I try starting in safe mode only to get back to the same thing. ' Last known good configuration does not work either.
This laptop belongs to my neighbor who brought it used with XP in it. It originally had Millenium installed so he did add more memory and he tells me that things worked fine for a while. He tells me that he did not have any kind of anti-virus installed so I'm thinking that his poor little 6 GB hard drive is history. I also do not think that his memory is being recognized. I know that the CD drive isn't because I tried to just re-install XP and that ain't happening. since I cannot scan the thing here is the only info I can provide:
Inspiron 2500 BIOS Revision A07
CPU= Intel Mobile Pentium III 850 MHZ
640K System RAM 317M Extended RAM 256K Cache SRAM
I do not deal with laptops to often, especially DELL, so any help would be really appreciated!
Thank you

UPDATE: Never mind this. I found a way into this machine.

Edited by Psychotic1, 01 April 2007 - 06:36 AM.

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
The CD might not be recognised due to boot sequence.
Is the CD recognised? Its light go on and off?
Go into the bios and check boot sequence. Turning startup, the screen will tell you what key (del, esc,)

Psychotic1

Psychotic1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
I've tried that and it did no good. In fact, it wouldn't let me change the boot sequence. It was as if the BIOs wasn't seeing the CD drive.
I did notice that if I hit the 'start windows normally ' selection that the seconds counter on the bottom will stop at what ever and it takes a good minute before anything starts to happen.

Psychotic1

Psychotic1

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 14 posts
One more note. The Cd light does blink off and on but this machine just isn't responding to anything. If I could just get into the thing I could deal with the rest of it.