Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

double icon on desktop

• Please log in to reply

cicciollo

cicciollo

• Pip
  • 6 posts
hi everyone, i just recover from a desktop hijack. my desktop was like this picture smartsecurity.gif .
i clean my pc,removing all files created by this malaware, but two things of the desktop dosn't still work every icon i place on desktop is cloned, so i have two ie icon, 2 documents icon and so on.... the other things is that also if i enable the transparent background text icon they still appear like if it was disabled.
If i create a new desktop none of this problem are present but i need my old desktop, so anyone can help me?

thanks very much

sorry for my bad english

Cicciollo

Advertisements

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
You can delete the duplicates or do they keep appearing

cicciollo

cicciollo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
when i delete one icon its copy remain there on the desktop until i make refresh. the one that has remained it's unreachable because when i click with right button the context menů doesn't have a normal sight(there isn't open, open with, add to winrar etc)
if i look into properties they say link not valid, dimension 0 Byte.....
Also the icon aspect isn't normal now they are like this one Attached File  Immagine.bmp   422.93KB   300 downloads

Cicciollo

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
not sure I see a "doubling" in that pic..not sure what it is

Just as a experiment

Right click the desktop...going to properties...slecting appearance.... changing size of Icons to large.... close, then repeat, and change them back to normal

cicciollo

cicciollo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
sorry for the pic i make a mistake.
my desktop is like thisdoubling_icon.JPG ; if i browse the dir C:\Documents and Settings\Filippo\Desktop i see just one icon per program,as normal.

Right click the desktop...going to properties...slecting appearance.... changing size of Icons to large.... close, then repeat, and change them back to normal

Done but nothing changes, i still have doubling icons and that awful blue rect round the icon text.

Cicciollo

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
blue rectangle around.....

Right click MY COMPUTER< choose PROPERTIES< choose ADVANCED, choose PERFORMANCE button...choose adjust for best appearance.....reboot.

What the heck is that danger spyware image? Is that a program? Or a browser pop up....?

cicciollo

cicciollo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
i get a spyware or something else and my desktope changed like the pic of the danger spyware, the the right click was disabled and i cannot change the wallpaper.
then i removed the spyware, following another thread of the forum and i could correct the right click of the mouse and the desktop, but once restored the desktop has the doubling icons and the rect.

Right click MY COMPUTER< choose PROPERTIES< choose ADVANCED, choose PERFORMANCE button...choose adjust for best appearance.....reboot

done , i have also disable active desktop and freeze icons.
i read in a forum to add a reg keys like this HKCU\Software\Microsoft\windows\current version\policies\explorer NoSetActiveDesktop = 1. also this tips doesm't work for me.....
:tazz: ;) ;)

cicciollo

gerryf

gerryf

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 11,365 posts
Create a second user account and log into that....does the problem repeat in that account?

cicciollo

cicciollo

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 6 posts
for the new user the problem doesn't appear. the strange thing is that i have just one of every icon, which was on my original desktop, even if in the new desktop i don't put anything of those programs. maybe is a key in the registry?