Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

frequent Hangs in XP!

• Please log in to reply

bind19

bind19

• PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello, I am running XP pro on a dell latitude laptop. I am experienceing frequent hang or lock ups that last for about 3 seconds whenever i open a webpage or a program. I have tried running all virus scans and ad/spy scans and nothing!. i have tried system restore but it fails each time. I have talked to Dell and mcirosoft and they are no help at all. I am very frustrated and i dont know what to do. PLease help! THe laptop is almost 2 years old and it has 1 GB of ram and a 1.89 Ghz proc along with a 60 GB Hd. thanks for your time.!

Advertisements

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
That could be a software or driver conflict. Check your Event Viewer in the Administrative Tools. Post any errors that are listed here.

bind19

bind19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
thnks for the reply. I forgot to add the CPU usage is still stayin at 100%

here are the errors i found in the event viewer

Event Type: Error
Event Source: DCOM
Event Category: None
Event ID: 10005
Date: 3/30/2007
Time: 7:02:56 PM
User: JASON\Jason Finnell
Computer: JASON
Description:
DCOM got error "The service cannot be started, either because it is disabled or because it has no enabled devices associated with it. " attempting to start the service IDriverT with arguments "-Service" in order to run the server:
{064CB054-2518-474E-B2E8-200049528C42}

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
___-
Event Type: Error
Event Source: NetBT
Event Category: None
Event ID: 4321
Date: 3/31/2007
Time: 12:48:54 PM
User: N/A
Computer: JASON
Description:
The name "JASON :0" could not be registered on the Interface with IP address 198.82.119.125. The machine with the IP address 198.82.162.243 did not allow the name to be claimed by this machine.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft....link/events.asp.
Data:
0000: 00 00 00 00 04 00 56 00 ......V.
0008: 00 00 00 00 e1 10 00 c0 ....á..À
0010: 01 01 00 00 01 00 00 c0 .......À
0018: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
0020: 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 ........
________

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Make sure the subnet mask is the same on all machines and your router. It will be list below the IP address in the network configuration. It will start with 255.xxx.xxx.xxx

bind19

bind19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
hello, I am connected to a college network through an ethernet cable. How do i do what you before?

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
The school should have a page with instructions on setting up your system to connect through them. You can also contact the school's IT department. Check with other students for the needed info also.

bind19

bind19

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 12 posts
im pretty sure that this problem has more to do with the Driver error and less with the internet, because my internet is fine but the WHOLE system hangs when i do something for about 2 seconds. I ahve contacted dell and they told me to do a Power discharge by takin out the battery and CD drive and holding down the power button. I am also pissed that my system restore will not work! everytime i try it it says that it was unable to restore the needed settings. Also, the only thing i can think that might ahve caused this was i downloaded the new Version of quicktie and then the next day this error happned. any ideas?

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP

The school should have a page with instructions on setting up your system to connect through them. You can also contact the school's IT department. Check with other students for the needed info also.

TT75??

If you believe it is the drivers have you tried reinstalling the drivers? Have you looked for and updated driver?

Edited by acklan, 01 April 2007 - 02:51 PM.

1101doc

1101doc

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 909 posts
The Apple update scheduler may have been activated by the QuickTime installation. By default it will start with Windows and run continously in the background. Use a good Start-up control program like free WinPatrol to stop it if necessary. http://www.winpatrol.com/