Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unable to use hotmail plus acct on Outlook

• Please log in to reply

limeman

limeman

• PipPip
  • 70 posts
I have a hotmail plus account and I want to run it on Microsoft Outlook 2003. It is suppose to work, that is why i pay for it. I am well aware of the proper settings, but it simply will not connect. It says my user name and password won't work. If I go to www.hotmail.com, I can log in with no problem. Any Ideas?

Advertisements

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
I know you said you're familiar with the settings, but the smallest mistake can keep you from connecting. Double check your set up against what Mico$oft says.
How to Configure Outlook to work with Hotmail

Scroll down for 2003.

Ron

limeman

limeman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Thanks for replying, but seriously, I have viewed a dozen different sites to get help on this issue. They all state the exact same thing as the article you linked to. I have added and removed the hotmail setup from Outlook several times to verify I was doing it properly.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Hi:

Since the link information didn't work for you and I don't use Microsoft Outlook 2003, I have asked other techs to help you.

Ron

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
Try this:
http://email.about.c...qt/et080202.htm

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
A you using the entire email address as your user name or just the name before the @ symbol? This is a common mistake. If you are you have to use the entire email address as the user name.

limeman

limeman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
Yep, checked that too. The only thing I can think of at this time is to create a new profile and start over again. I was just hoping to not have to go through all that. The current profile might be corrupted someway.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Try clearing your cookies and temp files.

rstones12

rstones12

Malware Expert

• Retired Staff
  • 3,731 posts
Open Outlook click on Help > Detect and Repair

Follow the on-screen prompts and then retry to set up your Hotmail account.

acklan

acklan

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 442 posts
  • MVP
Is your computer connected to a Linksys router. I read earlier where a user neeed to update the firmware to resolve a similar problem.

limeman

limeman

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 70 posts
I found the solution - I hope this can help someone else.

http://www.microsoft...;displaylang=en

It has to do with upgrading to I.E. 7 and the inability of some background programs to get HTTP authentication. Downloaded program and I was up and running.