Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

MSN Error 80072efd / System clean up

• Please log in to reply

petsr4keeps

petsr4keeps

• PipPip
  • 30 posts
Hi ...I posted this message last night. One of the members had started to assist me then signed off and I never heard back again. I was not sure if I should be waiting for him to come back, so I thought I would try again with my request. I have Windows XP and have been experiencing several problems with my computer. One of them is that I am unable to sign onto MSN Live Messenger. When I try, I get the error message 80072efd. Also I had recently downloaded the new version of Internet Explorer 7 and when I did, IE never worked again. I finally had to install Foxfire. I have been told to click this, uncheck that I don't know what I need and what I don't. Can you please assist me with this?

Thank you

Advertisements

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
You should have kept this in the same post. It would have been much simpler.
As stated in your other post, did you check the MSN link given?

How do I fix error 81000365, 8100035b or 80072EFD?

If you can't sign in to MSN Messenger, the connection settings in MSN Messenger might be preventing you from connecting to the Microsoft® .NET Passport or Microsoft® .NET Messenger Service. The MSN Messenger Connection Troubleshooter can often find and fix these problems. The Connection Troubleshooter starts automatically if MSN Messenger encounters a connection problem. If you choose not to use the Connection Troubleshooter, or it does not solve your connection problem, try the following:

1. Click the Tools menu, and then click Options.
2. In the left pane, click Connection.
3. Under Connection Settings, click Test Connection.

If you agree to allow the Connection Troubleshooter to examine your system, it will test for connection problems and report steps you can take to correct them.
4. Optional: Perform advanced troubleshooting

To troubleshoot your specific type of connection, click Advanced Settings. On the Advanced Connection Options dialog box, check that the settings for your particular connection type are correct. To test your connection, click the Test button. Click OK, and then click OK.
5. Click OK.

When you choose these settings, MSN Messenger will use the Microsoft® Internet Explorer connection settings if possible.
6. Try signing in to MSN Messenger again.

Another Link LOOK HERE
MORE READING ON THE SUBJECT

Have you allowed your firewall (I assume you have one) to allow access?
Do you have any internet connection?
You might have to repair IE. IE 7 is a bear on some units. It creates havac. You should be able to uninstall through add/remove.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Looks related to .NET Messenger Service:

http://www.msghelp.n...d.php?tid=61363

http://www.imzers.co...r-code-80072efd

http://www.brainlitt...ows_live_me.htm

petsr4keeps

petsr4keeps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I have tried all of those sites and followed the instructions, but nothing worked. I do have an internet connection. Before Internet Explorer crashed I was still unable to log into MSN live. Not sure how I verify the firewall. Can you assist me with this please.

Thanks

petsr4keeps

petsr4keeps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
I did manage to find the firewall and it does allow msn

123Runner

123Runner

Member 4k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,527 posts
From what I have read, Windows live messenger works with IE. He has a non functional IE, so that is probably the biggest problem.
I have found that it will work with Firefox, BUT, the setup needs to be proper. He has to somehow ALLOW messenger to use Firefox as "default" browser.
MOZILLAZINE

petsr4keeps

petsr4keeps

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 30 posts
Sorry, am i supposed to be doing something?

obin_gam

obin_gam

• PipPip
  • 16 posts
hi guys, woke up today and find out i have this problem too.
i have tried all the things suggested but nothing seems to work.
the strange thing is though - that besides the fact i cant login to msn, i cant even go to any ms-related site :whistling:
i cant visit microsoft.com/.se (i'm swedish), msn.com/.se, hotmail.com
i'm using firefox, but ive tried to visit the sites in IE6 also but it doesnt make any difference...

has ms finaly gone bancrupt? :blink: