Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

PreBuilt Parts of the Computer

• Please log in to reply

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Well, my birthday is sort of soon, but I'm getting my own computer A LOT earlier than my birthday. I was pondering the fact that I can buy parts of the PC, and I'd just make a computer out of that instead of buying pre-built packages and stuff.

Anyways, I wanted to listen to music, browse the internet, download movies possibly, and play Halo 1.

My computer parts so far aren't the best. However, I'm on a strict budget. I was aiming around $650 total for the computer and to upgrade the family's internet around $700 because of the router and upgrade to maybe Verizon DSL. I'm currently using the SBC 2Wire Router. It's not bad, but if I get my own computer 4 people won't be able to settle on the internet connection that I have now without serious lagging issues.

Anyways my computer so far:

Tower
Mouse

-And my dad has a monitor he said that he got from the laptop from a deal. I haven't seen it yet, but I wouldn't mind not having to pay for a monitor
-I haven't found a good keyboard that'll fit on my table yet. I don't want it to be all fancy. I just wanted to buy a simple one just like my mouse. But I don't want it to be crappy either. Can anyone help me find a cheap/decent keyboard?

Advertisements

SRX660

SRX660

motto - Just get-er-done

• Technician
  • 4,345 posts
Well, i personally find only one thing i like about E-machine computers and that is the case. I get a lot of dead e-machines caused by the poor power supplys burning up the motherboards. I have 3 of them here now like this.

I think you would have a better deal on this Compaq Presario SR 2180 NX computer for only $40 more. You get a 17" LCD monitor and a printer with this. Everything else is the same as the e-machine and you get a bonus of a lightscribe dvd-rw.

http://www.circuitci...bundleDetail.do

I have found compaq's to be quite reliable. I have a couple of them here i use quite a lot. I like my Compaq SR 1750 KR that i bought on a lark.

If you are talking about taking a laptop LCD screen and somehow hooking it to a desktop computer, it cheaper and easier to just buy a desktop LCD monitor. The newer compaq computers come with excellent keyboards that use laptop type keys that are easy to type with . The only problem i have is getting used to typing lightly as these KB's are not like the microsoft KB's that require a good push with your finger. The compaq also has a simple 2 button scroll wheel PS2 optical mouse that is quite good.

SRX660

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
Eh, I'm a little skeptical with Pentium D processors.

shard92

shard92

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,129 posts
I agree with srx660, I had a rather large stack fo emachine carcasses laying around that I just had to send to the recycler... ( no room to store anymore ) AS far as the P4 D the emachine you were looking at was also a pentium D so I don't see your problem? personally I've had bad experiences with compaq as well, though I do have to admit that was before the merger and haven't gone back to them myself....