Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Windows XP Installation of Microsoft Windows Installer 3.1

• Please log in to reply

ChristianC

ChristianC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you very much for all your suggestions.
I think you discovered something, -K-:

-K-:
See attachement "permissions.jpg" for more details.
When I select the Key, it says that this key can not be opened. I can right-Click it and select permissions, though.
There are no permissions set. I can set them, but they are not saved, since Access is denied.

zbd:
I downloaded the fix and applied it. The errormessage as seen in the attachement dialAFix.jpg shows up. I know that on an english OS this error Message reads
"An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers".

Cilix:
I did what you asked, but on the new administrator account the same problem occurs. When I try to install the Windows Installer, it hangs with the very same error message as before. I am quite sure I have a lot of new updates, though. Until a month or two ago, I regularly downloaded new updates. The problem is fairly new, I think.

Attached Thumbnails

• permissions.JPG
  • dialAFix.JPG

Advertisements

ChristianC

ChristianC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Well, two weeks now without an answer, so excuse the bump.
Any Idea?
How do I set the permissions if I do not have the right to set them?

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
You could try windows installer cleanup. Delete unwanted items.

http://www.majorgeek...lity_d4459.html

ChristianC

ChristianC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Thank you very much for your help.
Unfortunately, the windows clean up utility does not work since - - - it can not access the windows installer.

When I start the msicuu2.exe it says
"The Windows Installer could not be accessed. This can occur if you are running in safe mode, or if the windows installer is not correctly installed"

Which is kind of true, of course.
Is there any way to change the permissions to that reg key mentioned by -K- ?

Edited by ChristianC, 19 April 2007 - 10:56 AM.

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Cannot access windows installer problem...have a look.

http://kb.calyxsuppo...icle.php?id=396

ChristianC

ChristianC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
The first command is working, but when I type in
msiexec /regserver
, I get the message
"An event was unable to invoke any of the subscribers"

Installation does fail afterwards

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Go to Start> Run and type services.msc then press the <Enter> key. Scroll down the list to Windows Installer and double click on it. In the Startup type: box set it to Manual or Automatic then click the Start button. Exit out of everything, reboot for the heck of it and try to download and install again.

ChristianC

ChristianC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
It is already set to manual. I tried setting it to automatic, but for the installation it does not change a thing. The installation still fails.

Whiskeyman

Whiskeyman

• PipPipPip
  • 469 posts
Maybe time for a repair install. Do you have the XP CD?

ChristianC

ChristianC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Yeah, I have it here.
I am a bit afraid of doing that. But I thought it might come to that.

Advertisements

ChristianC

ChristianC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
Okay, I tried the Repair installation, and it totally messed up my computer. It does not boot any longer.

I inserted the original Windows XP cd, selecet Install, selected my current installation and pushed "r" for repair this installation.

It copied some files, that restarted the PC, then shows the Windows XP logo (booting up),...

then the "Welcome" screen should appear where you select the user to login. But the screen remains blank. And blank. And blank. Waited half an hour. Tried safe mode. Same problem.

So, I have no more access to my PC.
When I do a COMPLETE reinstall now, what happens to the files on my desktop, to all the files saved in my "Documents and User Settings"-folder (or however it was called).

Argh, what should I do now? I cant even access my PC to save my data!

Please, someone, help ...

zbd

zbd

• PipPipPip
  • 271 posts
Take it to a computer repair shop......or buy a new computer with vista installed (1 GB ram minimum)

ChristianC

ChristianC

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 15 posts
now that seems a bit extreme.

I would never install Windows Vista at the moment, and the PC is a fairly decent one. Just because the repair installation doesn't work does not meen it is unfixable. The only thing i fear is data loss. I got a ton of files on my desktop, und unfortunately you can not change the pass of your "documents and settings" path.

Meaning: A new Installation of Windows (no repair installation) might delete all those files. Actually you even get a warning that this might happen when you install the OS. I always selected a "My documents" folder that is on another hard drive to prevent data loss in case of a total loss of windows that would force me to reinstall. But this does not protect your files on the desktop.

I am already half through with my complete new installation.

by the way: There are some leftovers of my last Windows XP installation, a lot of files in the old Windows Directory, subfolders that are called something like $3456256-63456346-63454$, LOTS of them. I can not delete any of these subfolders, since i have no permission. Who has permission for these "dead" files?