Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Options To Back Up A Now Unbootable Drive?

• Please log in to reply

XvEnOmX

XvEnOmX

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hello, I am new to these forums. I have a problem. I need to reinstall XP on my current hard drive (160 Gig 5400 RPM Maxtor) due to a failure of xp to boot. First however, I would like to copy over my old files so I don't lose them when I eventually reformat this drive. At my disposal I have 1 working laptop, 1 300 Gig External 3.5 USB 2.0 HD and 2 40 Gig 2.5 (Laptop HD) and USB 2.0 external laptop drive enclosure, Windows XP Install Disc. I have ran scandsk /p (1 error found) and tried running the recovery console. My idea is to use one the 40 gig hard drives for a new install of windows and put the unbootable drive in the external enclosure to copy my files over however on my working computer, I don't believe it is that easy... If I remember correctly, you cannot just copy files off a once bootable hard drive? If that is the case is there any way around it?

Thank You,
XvEnOmX

Advertisements

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Hello and Welcome to Geeks to Go,

First off what is the computer doing? When it boots up are you getting NO information or does it get to a certain point and stop? Why do you feel you need to completely reinstall Windows XP? If your hard drive is NOT booting you could have a more serious issue that is not due to the OS.

Could you give us more information?

XvEnOmX

XvEnOmX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Hello and Welcome to Geeks to Go,

First off what is the computer doing? When it boots up are you getting NO information or does it get to a certain point and stop? Why do you feel you need to completely reinstall Windows XP? If your hard drive is NOT booting you could have a more serious issue that is not due to the OS.

Could you give us more information?

Thank you for the welcome,
When the computer boots, the bios loads and then it goes to a black screen with a blinking white cursor at the top left. I figured something is fubar in windows. I am going to try to boot knoppix from it when I get home from work. The HD is fine though, I can explorer, and copy files using the recovery console, I did try a repair install but that didn't seem to help, I also tried fixboot and fixmbr.

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Have you tried to just repair Windows XP before completely reinstalling it? Most install disks should give you that option.

XvEnOmX

XvEnOmX

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Have you tried to just repair Windows XP before completely reinstalling it? Most install disks should give you that option.

Hello Pyron81,
I did try the repair function included on the XP install disc, no go...

pyron81

pyron81

• PipPipPip
  • 298 posts
Well if you can search the drive and copy files you most likely have a corrupt file in windows. Why the recovery feature didn't work I am not sure. Have you tried booting into safe mode?

Other than that I would recommend doing what you are going to do which is turn that drive into a slave and just make another drive the master. Pull the information you need off the drive then format it and leave it a slave or go back to making it a master. :whistling: