Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

No Boot!

• Please log in to reply

Picky

Picky

• PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Running XP Home, I can try to boot into safe mode, Last configuration ,or normal and each time you get the windows sreen before going into windows and then it will shut down and reboot to the option page. Will a repair help this? Bruce

Advertisements

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Most probably yes. Look at the link in my signature to read about how to repair and what is involved.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Thanks for a fast reply, I will check the link. Bruce

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
When I boot with cd I enter setup and then I don't get a repair option for the partition that xp is on. When I boot into a repair from the start all I get is a C:\, no option to pick # 1 for the OS . Bruce

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
Have you followed the instructions carefully? I have seen cases in which repair options was not available.

Before you go for a full repair please try chkdsk: Start like you did before and in the first screen choose to repair through recovery console (press R). When asked for installation type 1. Press Enter when asked for password or enter password if you have one. At the prompt type chkdsk /r . Let the process run to the end.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
Yes I followed the instructions. I already knew how to do that but when you don't get a repair option there is serios problems. I am running chkdsk right now. I used a panda Antivirus CD to scan but it got hung up at a gif file. I believe it could have bee a nasty virus not sure yet. Bruce

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
I finished the chkdsk repair and Im now booted into windows. I need to find out what happened . Any ideas were to start looking. Bruce

The Skeptic

The Skeptic

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 4,075 posts
If the computer works well then there is no much use for researching the source of the problem because it is random and could happen everywhere. Generally speaking chkdsk is a command that scans each sector on the HD, repair damaged sectors if possible, mark in the file tables those damaged permanently to avoid rewriting, etc.

Picky

Picky

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 260 posts
This mourning it booted up and I tried to open Outlook express and it froze. I rebooted and it stopped at the need disk. This afternoon I booted up like nothing happened. I suspect the hard drive and not the memory or power supply. The mobo is new even though it is a PC Chips board. I will test the memory and the drive. Thanks Bruce