Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Freshly Built Computer slowness (w/pic)

• Please log in to reply

skarekrow06351

skarekrow06351

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I have just finished building my computer. I installed windows, installed and updated the drivers. I've only installed a couple games, and a couple benchmarks to test my 7950 GS
______
2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium D
16 kilobyte primary memory cache
1024 kilobyte secondary memory cache Board: EVGA 122-CK-NF68 2 Nforce 680i SLI
Bus Clock: 200 megahertz
290.05 Gigabytes Usable Hard Drive Capacity
226.04 Gigabytes Hard Drive Free Space

TSSTcorp CD/DVDW SH-S182M [CD-ROM drive]
3.5" format removeable media [Floppy drive]

ST3250624A [Hard drive] (250.06 GB) -- drive 0, s/n 5ND569B6, rev 3.AAH, SMART Status: Healthy
ST940811 4A USB Device [Hard drive] (40.01 GB) -- drive 1 1536 Megabytes Installed Memory

Slot 'A0' has 512 MB
Slot 'A1' has 1024 MB
Slot 'A2' is Empty
Slot 'A3' is Empty
Local Drive Volumes

c: (NTFS on drive 0) 250.05 GB 219.85 GB free
e: (FAT32 on drive 1) 40.00 GB 6.19 GB free
Network Drives
None detected

Standard floppy disk controller
Primary IDE Channel [Controller] (4x)
Secondary IDE Channel [Controller] (4x)
Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controller (4x) NVIDIA GeForce 7950 GT [Display adapter]
HSD CM2015 [Monitor] (14.9"vis, s/n 7612TD000458, March 2006)

Standard Enhanced PCI to USB Host Controller
Standard OpenHCD USB Host Controller Realtek High Definition Audio
________

my_computer.jpg
_________
My frame rates in aquamark3 are
AvgFPS: 26.745356
MinFPS: 18.000000
MaxFPS: 47.000000
_________
Now, this doesnt seem right at all to me, my reason being, my father doesn't have a 2.80 gigahertz Intel Pentium D, and only has a geforce7500 and has much higher framerates then I do? I dont know if theres a chance anyone can help me. I gave as much information as I possibly could. I hope its enough. I know the wires are a mess sstill, but I dont think that has anything to do w/ it.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
your using a synthetic benchmark, use a game or something like fear to benchmark, there more accurate. Your dad could easily have a better CPU and the synthetic benchmark could be more CPU intensive then GPU.
What CPU does your father have?
James

Edit: since your dads GPU is older and yours newer it was focusing on a different Pixel shader. Yours will have pixel shader 3.0 while his will have 1.0 I believe. Since your graphics card will be tested with more complexe scenarios it'll give you the impression that your card is under performing when that isn't the case. Your card is just being given harder tasks then your dads, since the option isn't availible for him to work under the different and newer technology.

Edited by james_8970, 01 April 2007 - 07:14 PM.

Dryfter

Dryfter

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
Also there is a possibility that your ram is rated at different speeds, there for downclocking the fast ram. Maybe try to get a hold of a 2x 1GB kit.

Or even try taking the 512 out and just running the 1GB. Might help.

Yeah try FEAR, or even try 3dmark05 or 3dmark06. 3DMark I've run before, but I've never messed with aquamark. I think my 7800GTX's (in SLI) ran around 12000 or 13000 in 3Dmark05 and 6000-7000 in 3DMark06. Again thats if I remember correctly.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
go to the mobo manufactures website and get any updated drivers or bios updates..
everyone tries to hurry their mobo's out to market...then they start working on the bios and drivers to get them faster and more stable...Asus is notorious for updating 3 or 4 times in the year after selling the first boards...

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Since his computer is much more recent I'd say his ram is rated at a higher speed, because of this his performance should be higher then his dads, but for some reason the case is the opposite. Also while motherboards do have a difference on games because of transfer rates and the such even after the drivers are updated it wouldn't make a significant difference. Maybe 3 FPS at the very most.

I still believe that its give yours dad's computer easier tasks due to the pixel shader models so it'll give it simpler tasks commpared to your own, giving it the illusion that his graphics card is better then your own. When this of course isn't the case. 3dmark06 is still synthetic, go with games, find out if you can find a game that'll work on both cards and then benchmark it. Even once you do this it might place the cards on different options as once again your card can do significantly more complexe equations in games then your fathers due to the newer technology. Benchmarks are only there to give you an idea, there are so many contributing factors that may render the usults inaccurat.

As a final note, don't let benchmarks bother you, focus on the real world performance that it gives you, that the other would not.
James

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
How is the computer overall? Does it start-up or do tasks faster than you're dads? Does it make any weird noises? Anything else u.nusual about it?

skarekrow06351

skarekrow06351

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
We use the same exact benchmarks, and they all basically say the same thing. They all give horrendous scores. Ive used Fear, Aquamark, and the 3dmark06. We run same specs in the benchmark. My overall computer performance is an overall slow. And yeah, I've got the latest drivers. No Good.