Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Tell me your thoughts

• Please log in to reply

GoCompute

GoCompute

• PipPip
  • 98 posts
We are building 2 new computers and this is what going in them:

Intel duel core 2.13 GHz LGA775
1-2 Gigs of ram
2600 GT GeForce or 7950 GT with 512 MB of ram
Gigabyte GA 9656-d53 775 Intel G965 Express ATX
500 Watt PSU
200-320 GB HD SATA
with a CD/DVD burner

Does this sound like a good computer system for gaming and graphic/video editing?

Advertisements

Dryfter

Dryfter

• PipPip
  • 42 posts
I would go with the 2 gigs. and maybe an 8 series graphics card. As you'll be able to play the dx10 games. Also look at the cache of the HD and try to get a 16mb one. I went from a 8 to 16mb cache and my games loaded a lot faster. I think most of the bigger drives have 16mb cache anyway.

Make sure you get a quality PSU. Other than that it looks pretty good. Maybe for a cheap upgrade path, look at the SLI ready mobos. Buy an expensive graphics card now. Then wait till prices drop and you can pick up another for pretty cheap.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Just a note here, ram is not the deependant factor of a graphics card, the more it has will not create a better card. This is just what the manufactures want your to think to get more money for a card when it'll perform the same.
For video editing I'd suggest the E6600 processor, while it is more you'll see a noticable difference. Wait till april 22nd, there going to be price cuts that'll be quite significant. Also you'll want a DX10 graphics card if your gaming and you'll probably want to wait a month for this because ATI is release thier products as well as the budget line of GPU's are about to be released by Nvidia.
Also, as Dryfter mentioned be sure your hard drive has no less the 16Mb as well as SATA 3.0GB/s.
James

Edited by james_8970, 02 April 2007 - 11:48 AM.

GoCompute

GoCompute

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 98 posts
We upgraded to some newer stuff and I told the computer place your advice. Our computers are much better now! Thanks everyone!

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Glade to hear it, just out of curiosity what did you end up with, how's it running?
James