Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

internet sharing to other devices

• Please log in to reply

cha55son

cha55son

• Pip
  • 7 posts
Hey im trying to share my internet through my computer to two other devices.. Im not sure exactly how this should work..

Setup: Ethernet wire to computer, internet sharing through wireless on computer(no router), wireless to devices.

Devices: Nintendo Wii, Series 2 Tivo

Thanks for any help

Chason

Advertisements

pip22

pip22

Trusted Tech

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,663 posts
You need to install a wireless router and connect it to your existing modem. Your PC connects to the router by ethernet cable, everything else connects to router wirelessly. With this setup, the wirelessly connected devices still have internet access even when the wired PC is turned off. You don't share internet through your main PC, that's not the way it's done. It's shared through a router, that's what a router is for.

cha55son

cha55son

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
Im sorry forgot to mention in the first post that my internet is governed by an internet login. I dont know if a router can be configured to go around the login so my only option is to go through my computer.

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

Im sorry forgot to mention in the first post that my internet is governed by an internet login. I dont know if a router can be configured to go around the login so my only option is to go through my computer.

Yes it can be. If its DSL then you will have to choose PPPoE as your connection type and then type in your login info into the router.

cha55son

cha55son

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I have basic cable, so its 100mbps ethernet. I live on TN Tech campus and they have a "ResNet" login. I actually have two routers but every time I plug them in the internet hardly ever works, but works fine when plugged into the computer. So is there no way to share the internet through my computer's wireless like the network wizard says?

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts
So the cable is provided through the campus? Also, having more then 1 router causes a headache in a SOHO enviroment. If you need more then 4 ports or whatever your router has, use a switch.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
cha55son...you may want to contact the IS department at your school...i would assume you're not the first person to attempt to connect multiple devices to their network...they may have steps that you can preform to get your router to work correctly with their network

theoretically you might be able to create an AD-HOC wireless network from your main computer and use that for internet connection sharing...but...alas i've never done this so i can't say whether it would work or not

diabillic

diabillic

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,370 posts

cha55son...you may want to contact the IS department at your school...i would assume you're not the first person to attempt to connect multiple devices to their network...they may have steps that you can preform to get your router to work correctly with their network

theoretically you might be able to create an AD-HOC wireless network from your main computer and use that for internet connection sharing...but...alas i've never done this so i can't say whether it would work or not

Agreed. Most uni's have policys against more then 1 PC on a jack for bandwidth purposes. So defenetely check up with MIS first and then lets us know what they say.

cha55son

cha55son

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I doubt it will be a problem.. but back to what dsenette was saying. I have set up the ad hoc network and the Wii saw the wireless from my computer but could not connect to the internet. I dont use two routers at once. I just happen to have two.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
if you can get the WII to connect to your PC through an AD-HOC...then the next step would be to set up internet conection sharing on the desktop....and see if that works...like i said...no idea if it will work....asking your school's tech group (depending on what TN Tech campus you're at i might know a few of them) would also be a great option...as like i said...they may have steps for setting up a router

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
dsenette you are correct, i Know for a fact AD-HOC networks can share the internet, i used to run my network like that when wireless routers were too expensive, once everything can see the network (secured i hope), just follow the below steps on the main computer to share the internet.

Start>control panel>nework connections>right click on the internet settings click properties>

find then sharing options and tick the box that say, "share this computer internet connection" click apply > ok

the rest your computer, try accessing the net with the Wii

cha55son

cha55son

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I set up the connect with the network wizard and selected to share through my internet connection. Then went to wireless and changed it to adhoc and created my own p2p connection. Also cut on share to other user. The Wii still did not connect. Im thinking when i look at my network connections should the local area connection have the "shared" beside it or should the wirelesss connection?

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
Are you talking about the netwrok connections on the main machine, if so, then it should be the connection of your modem.

You also need to right click on on the wireless and share your intenet connection through the properties menu!

cha55son

cha55son

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 7 posts
I tried to share the wireless but it kept saying that there was an IP conflict. It needed to use 198.162.0.1 but no other device is connected to my computer besides the modem.