Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

AMIBIOS LOG_IN PROBLEM

• Please log in to reply

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• PipPip
  • 87 posts
Working on an older Packard Bell Computer and trying to change the hard drive but cannot access the BIOS. Have tried all the "F" keys. the "Esc" key and the "Delete" key. Have even tried ""Ctl"-"Alt" & "Esc" keys with no success. Have noticed on each Bios boot, the message "keyboard not detected" appears (probably why I can't access the Bios thru the keyboard) but the "mouse detected" message appears during the Bios bootup.

The only BIOS information I can see during the boot is: AMIBIOS © 1992 American Megatrends, Inc. © 1992-1997 Intel Corporation BIOS Version 1.00.12.DNOR.

I've even tried holding down each mouse button and both mouse buttons during boot up and nothing happens.

This computer was built in 1997 by Packard Bell.

Anyone have any ideas?

Advertisements

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If it doesn't detect the keyboard you're pretty much up a creek. You have no input of any kind since the mouse won't work without drivers. The older PBs (mostly made by NEC) weren't very reliable anyway and my own luck at rescuing them has been poor.

Neil Jones

Neil Jones

Member 5k

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,476 posts
It's most likely, assuming you've changed the keyboard and still got nowhere, that the PS/2 port on the machine has died. Whether a machine of this age can talk to a USB keyboard (via a separate PCI USB Card) and get into BIOS that way I cannot say.

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
No, I haven't tried replacing the keyboard yet because when the computer boots into Win98 I have keyboard access and mouse support. I will try another keyboard to see if this will help, but I'm thinking that someone's turned off "detect keyboard" in the BIOS at some past time.

Tyger

Tyger

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,896 posts
If you take out the BIOS battery and unplug the machine for a couple of minutes that should reset the BIOS to defaults.

barneyhelper

barneyhelper

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 87 posts
Thanks everyone, problem solved. I had to plug in a keyboard direct to the computer instead of going thru a switch. Once that was done, the keyboard was detected by the BIOS and the message "Press (F1) to access BIOS" appeared on screen.