Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

CD Problem

• Please log in to reply

Lancaster

Lancaster

• Pip
  • 8 posts
I posted an item last week about the sound from the CD not working on my Toshiba Laptop. In the middle of trying to sort this out following the advice in the replies, the whole drive now has a problem in that it has disapearred from "my computer" and is not listed in the device manager. I have tried to reinstall using "add hardware" but it doesn't find the device.

Can anyone offer any suggestions? Any advice greatly appreciated.

Advertisements

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Hi and welcome to Geeks to Go. You can try running the CD Gone registry patch. Go to http://www.aumha.org/regfiles.php
and scroll down to "The popular CDGONE patch. CD drives may vanish in Windows Explorer, Device Manager, etc. if a third-party CD-burning package has been uninstalled and Registry references for some code modules aren’t removed successfully. This patch and a reboot usually will restore the missing drives. Any third party package still required will then have to be re-installed. For more information on this and other possible causes, see the “Problems” section of Alex Nichol’s Burning CDs in Windows XP article."

Lancaster

Lancaster

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
Thank you for your help - I will give that a try.

Frasier

Frasier

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I have followed your suggestion and the CD drive is now back. Unfortunately the sound still won't work however despite downloading drivers from the Toshiba website. Any suggestions as to how to get the sound working again will be gratefully received.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Is this just sound from the cd that is not working, or no sound at all? Does your cd have jack on the front where you can plug in headphones? Do you hear sound if you do that? If you go to my computer, right click properties, hardware tab, device manager, do you see a yellow ! next to any of the devices?

Frasier

Frasier

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
Thanks for the post. There is no sound at all, I have checked with headphones and there are no !'s in Device Manager.

This laptop is displaying one problem afetr another and is very slow (programmes take forever to load it took about 5 minutes to load Device Manager) and I am thinking of formatting the drive and reinstalling windows. Do you think the sound drivers may come back on a reinstall and reloading the drivers from my Toshiba drivers disk?

Any help graetly appreciated.

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
A format and clean re-install is always an option. I would suggest you try some other things first though, and leave re-install as the last choice option. Go to http://www.geekstogo..._Log-t2852.html and follow the malware clean up guide. See if that helps with the slow start up and other problems you are having.

Frasier

Frasier

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
This is a reply from Lancaster - I have forgotten my log in details for that user name!

Thanks again for the reply. I have however followed all the suggestions in the clean up guide. According to all the scans the computer is free from viruses and malware etc. Can you suggest anything else before I format etc?

austin_o

austin_o

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 2,089 posts
Try going to start, my computer right click properties, hardware tab, device manager. Navigate to the sound, video, game controllers and click on the + to open up the list. Do you see any device there with a yellow !, particularly the autio controller? Right click on the audio controller, and select update the driver. See if that fixes it.

Frasier

Frasier

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
There are no ! signs in the device manager list. The CD is saying it is working normally but it still doesn't work. It is listed in My Computer but when I try to start it from Run it says the drive is unaccessible.

Any further advice greatly appreciated.