Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Windows 98 what other protections?

• Please log in to reply

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
I don't use cleanup so I can't advise you on that one..you might want to tell your friend to use a password manager ...
much safer unless nobody has access to the computer...imagine someone resetting his password or deleting all his saved mail...

Edited by happyrck, 06 April 2007 - 08:45 AM.

Advertisements

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
No one else uses his computer.
Just curious. I read that CleanUp was a great tool to great rid of temporary files and cookies, a quick and useful tool. Are you not concerned about this?
So far FireFox is great, I decided to not tweak with FasterFox right now. Thanks for all the leads to prevention tools.

R

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
The cookie stores his log in, so needs to look for a cookies to keep option, though I wouldn't have anything set to auto log in

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
fasterfox tweaks all the settings in firefox...its not a different browser...it just makes it even faster...it will not help with dial up users

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I put the NEW DOWNLOADS folder on my desktop, have not used it yet but will when I download anything. I've been trying to update my AVG but it gets to 5% and says ERROR RETRIEVING DATA. This has happened the past four days. So there is no need to go further if it is not current. Do I need to change some settings, wonder why it won't update?

R

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
uninstall AVG and download it again and reinstall it...might be a bad or incomplete install..

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
This is how I got into a problem a month ago and ended up losing everything on the computer, trying to get the AVG to update. To Uninstall and re-install, should I go to Add/Remove Programs, in the Control panel?

R

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
yep...

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I went to Add/Remove, clicked AVG, followed the steps to Uninstall, then got this " Action failed for setup.exe: creating backup Access is denied (5)% destination= Program Files et al. First AVG will not let me update, now it will not let me Uninstall.

R

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I just ran SpyBot, all good. Then checked AdAware, checked for an update, it started retrieving an update, got to 5%, then said Error Retrieiving Update. Just like AVG. Are they related???

R

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
try downloading AVG again and try to reinstall it..

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
I did download AVG but instead of installing I clicked Repair. All went well, then I scanned, all went well. So now on my desktop it says AVG 7.5 instead of AVG Free. I checked it again this morning and AVG says my updates are current and all is well. Lets keep our fingers crossed.
Thank you.

R

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
:whistling: on AVG...
what about ad-aware..look here

Edited by happyrck, 11 April 2007 - 09:46 AM.

robertk

robertk

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 45 posts
Followed your link, uninstalled AdAware, then re-installed & updated. Looks good. The downloads that are in the Desktop Download file(currently avg and spyware blaster and adaware), do I leave them there indefinitely, how do I handle them? How do I scan a download for problems, is there a tutorial I should read?
Again, thanks.
Oh, another question. I wanted to put a FreeCell icon on my desktop, I now take the long route to access it. My father has been trying to send me attachments on how to do this(I really do not know what he is attempting to send), but they never get to me. He sends them to my main address, I never get them, tho I do get email from him without an attachment. He also sends them to my yahoo address, I also do not get them there. Is it likely that they are being blocked from his end, and not mine? He can send me emails with pictures imbedded, even animations, but for some reason the FreeCell thing he is sending isn't arriving.

R

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
AD-AWARE tutorial here...leave the files in the download folder...just in case you have to reinstall them...
don't know about the attachment problem...
I'm extremely busy for the next 2 days...will get back to you when I get caught up..