Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

XP Blue Screen Fatal

• Please log in to reply

helpme1962

helpme1962

• PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
Dell Dimension 9100. Pentium 4 dual 3.0 gHz 512 mb ram processor. Windows XP fully updated. Norton 2005 fully updated. 145 gb storage. Wireless cable modem internet connection.

I am now experiencing blue screen error messages stating "A windows subsystem of the system has experienced a fatal error" and lists a bunch of codes, of which you probably need and I dont have right now as I am at work. It goes on to say "physical memory dump beginning, physical memory dump finished, please see your system administrator or support for help".

After downloading a logitech webcam, I believe some of my settings changed on my computer. I never had the hibernation mode enabled but it seems is started all of a sudden.

After loading the camera the first time, it seemed to work fine. I left the room for an hour or so and when I came back in, the screen was black. I moved the mouse and hit some keys and nothing. I manually shut down and when the system booted up, I received a pop up in windows stating that the system has recovered from a serious issue and would I like to send an error report. I clicked yes to which another pop up stated the report was corrupt and could not be sent. It stated that this is indicative of a much more serious problem.

I completely uninstalled the camera software and all related files.

I scanned using norton, tuneup2007, spybot1.4. No viruses were detected and I cleaned or fixed whatever registries they recommended.

I reinstalled the camera in a clean boot using the updated software from thier website.

After leaving the computer for a while, the same black screen happened.

I had nortons senior technicians take control of my computer and check everything, they found nothing except that I had multiple instances of IExplore.exe running in my task manager with no internet windows open. These instances of iexplore running would grow as you browsed the internet and would not shut down after the internet windows were closed. Their recommendation was that my IE files were corrupt and I should uninstall IE and reinstall.

At that time is was late and I decided to do it this morning. I left the computer on last night. Before I went to bed, I checked my control panel display settings and unchecked the hibernation mode and made sure my screensaver would come on after 5 minutes.

When I came into the office this morning, I had the blue screen of death.

help.

Advertisements

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
the first thing to try is system restore...go back at least a week before the problem started

helpme1962

helpme1962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
OK, thanks, I've never done a system restore before. I know where it is, how to pick a date, and how to initiate it, but are there any other tips I need to know? The computer is at my home office, I'm not there right now but plan on doing it tonight when I get there.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Look for system checkpoints as those are made when the system is running properly

helpme1962

helpme1962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
by the way, here is the wording on the blue screen error message:

"Stop:

C000021a (fatal system error)

the windows subsystem system process terminated unexpectedly with a status of 0xc0000006 (0x7c921a9d 0x0069f1c4)

beginning dumpr of physical memory

physical memtory dump complete

contact your system administrator or technical support group for further assistance."

I hope this sheds some light on things.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
What happened with system restore?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669

helpme1962

helpme1962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts
I just got home and I am getting ready to do it. I'll keep you posted.

helpme1962

helpme1962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

What happened with system restore?

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/156669

OK, I tried a system restore back to March 21st, then 25th, then 28th. In all cases, on reboot, I received a message that the system could not be restored to those dates and no changes were made.

I checked to see how much memory I have allocated to system restore and if it is enabled. It is enabled and the slider bar is set to max )173,000 mb.

I downloaded the suspect software on March 28th.

What now?

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Does it boot to safe mode with networking so you can uninstall the March 28th software

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
you will also want to turn off restore...when one of the restore points are bad...they are all bad because they are linked...turn restore off and the turn it back on again to get it working again...if you don't know how to do this ...let us know and we can give you step by step instructions...

Advertisements

helpme1962

helpme1962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Does it boot to safe mode with networking so you can uninstall the March 28th software

Yea, It actually would boot in normal mode, I uninstalled the software again. I left it on for a few hours and no blue screen, go figure. Seems Windows XP does not like this Logitech software.

Retired Tech

Retired Tech

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 20,563 posts
Maybe worth checking the Logitech site for updated software, their tech people can take a while but they do get back to you if you want to ask them if they know the cause

helpme1962

helpme1962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

you will also want to turn off restore...when one of the restore points are bad...they are all bad because they are linked...turn restore off and the turn it back on again to get it working again...if you don't know how to do this ...let us know and we can give you step by step instructions...

I read up on how to clear the restore points. I will do it when I get home tonight. As mentioned above, I uninstalled the Logitech software and the computer seems to be running fine (no blue screen at idle) although iexplore.exe still continues to show up multiple times in the taskmanager when I open and close internet pages. They don't go away unless I manually end the process.

happyrock

happyrock

Tech Moderator

• Retired Staff
  • 9,285 posts
test restore to make sure its working after you clear out the old points..you might want to try firefox and quit using IE altogether...
get it here...

Edited by happyrck, 03 April 2007 - 07:11 AM.

helpme1962

helpme1962

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 154 posts

Maybe worth checking the Logitech site for updated software, their tech people can take a while but they do get back to you if you want to ask them if they know the cause

I downloaded the most up to date software prior to installing my camera.

I've been on that site for days before I came here. (Logitech/support/forums/webcamsoftware) Of course, according to their techs, there are no problems with their software. I would have to disagree based on the thousands upon thousands of posts and topics regarding logitech software problems.

Can you recommend a high quality webcam with pan/tilt/zoom features??