Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Can't install or uninstall programs in xp pro

• Please log in to reply

debf

debf

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I went to apply an update to a program (Quickbooks) and recieved an error message "error 1603 update installer has encountered an internal error" "unable to apply patch" after troubleshooting this error it was suggested to uninstall Quickbooks and reinstall. When I tried to uninstall (or try the repair function) I get errors saying "installation interrupted"
to try again run the installation wizard again
I decided to try to reinstall windows installer (KB893803-v2-x86.exe)- It says get I have succesfully completed the installation wizard, but when I look in add/remove programs there is no size or change/remove button
I tried Windows Installer Cleanup (msicuu2.exe)-I get "fatal error"
I decided to try installing or uninstalling another program and I got the "fatal error" also
another error I get is Error 1328 c:\config.msi\PT4A2.tmp

My computer was working fine, and still is except for the fact that I can't apply the quickbooks update or install or uninstall anything
I also saw a link to Dial-a-fix so I tried that and according to the log file everything was succesful but I still can't
can anybody here suggest anything?
thanks

Advertisements

Eddieram36

Eddieram36

• PipPip
  • 10 posts
Hi debf;
You problem lays with Quick-books. Their anti-pirating programming will not allow you to update. You need to call then and they'll walk you thru the whole thing. If this is not the original PC the software was installed in the will want you to buy a separate license. You can try a work around by saying that hte original PC was damaged in a storm, but you will need ALL trhe documentation including the original confirmation number.
Hope this helps.

Eddieram36