Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

HP Shutdown

• Please log in to reply

cradl

cradl

• PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Ok heres one. I have a computer that worked fine then turned back on a couple of hours later and i got to desktop and then shut off the HP power button on the front of it would blink. So I took apart to see if it was dirty and it was, cleaned it out and booted back up 8 times. It worked fine. Put cover back on and then boot up and desktop came up and 30 sec. later shut down again. took cover back off because I noticed a noise right before shutdown like fan getting stuck and then it wouls go down. Booted up with cover off and it was fine 2 more times. Put cover back on and it did the same thing 30-50sec shutdown. Took cover back off and it was fine. All fans worked free spinning and no wires were in the way. Let it go with cover off and worked good for 2 weeks, now it is doing the same thing with cover off. Now desktop comes up and 10 sec. it shutsdown. I looked to see what the flashing HP power button was but I can't fine any error. I don't think it is overheating. The room is cool and lots of air moving inside.

HP Pavillion a230n
2.08 amd
512 ram

Advertisements

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Hi cradl...

This really sounds like overheating...whether things "look" ok or not. Download, install, and run SpeedFan on the machine and report the high temperatures you see.

wannabe1

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Ok how can I do that if I cant get it to boot up for more than 30 sec.? I starts to load taskbar items and then shuts down.

wannabe1

wannabe1

Tech Staff

• Technician
  • 16,645 posts
Can you boot to the BIOS Setup and see if you can find the information from the sensors there?

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Yes I will do that tommorow morning let you know what temp is.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
Ok was able to get to bios temp is 108F-114F. It will go for about anywere from 10sec to 5min before shutdown. Still can'tr load up.

cradl

cradl

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 279 posts
How do you remove the heatsink on a ASUS A7N8X-LA. tring to see if chip is discolored. Please look at posts. Can anyone help??

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
Might find the info in this PDF on the ASUS A7N8X-LA. Or this one: A7N8X-LA
. You may have a problem with airflow within your case regardless of previous results. Most of the heatsinks with fans have simple clip ons. Once you remove the heatsink, clean both surfaces thoroughly and apply something similar to Artic Silver 5 or any good thermal compound. You might also look into buying a new MB. TigerDirect had a new BIOSTAR socket A motherboard for $50 at one time. Ran 6 degrees cooler.

Another thing to try is to go into your Device Manager/System Devices and change the driver of the CPU to AGP Bridge to the standard pci to pci bridge. (You can always change back) If the games run without a single problem, it's probably a Forceware problem. If the card still crashes, its something else.

Ron