Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Updgrading IBM Thinkpad 600e

• Please log in to reply

shouranpotter

shouranpotter

• PipPip
  • 28 posts
Is it possible to upgrade some specs on this IBM Thinkpad 600e that my uncle gave me?
It really looks nice and sleak. I want to install my Photoshop software on it but it's specs doesn't match the system requirements.

These are my current problems:
Operating System: Microsift ME
Pentium Processor II 366 MHZ
RAM is a bit wierd... it says 2GB... or maybe my uncle upgraded it.

These are the Photoshop 7 requirements:
Intel Pentium class III or 4 processor;
Microsoft Windows 98, Windows 98 Special Edition, Windows Millennium Edition, Windows 2000 (service pack 2), Windows NT 4.0 (service pack 6a), Windows XP;128 MB of RAM (192 MB recommended);
280 MB of available hard disk space;
Color monitor with 16-bit color video card or higher; I'm not sure about this
800x600 or greater monitor resolution;
CD-ROM drive.

I'm no computer whiz so I'm clueless about these stuff. I really have a huge interest on making this laptop meet my interests.
Also, if it's upgradable, how much could it cost? (In GBP) I've thought of selling it but I might hurt my uncle's feelings.
Thanks so much in advance!

Edited by shouranpotter, 02 April 2007 - 03:00 PM.

Advertisements

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Hi there

I think you must be mistaken about the amount of ram. The maximum that the Thinkpad 600E can support, is 288MB (1x32MB (built in) + 2 x 128MB).
To be honest, there's not much you can upgrade. The cpu may, or may not, be upgradeble but even if it is, chances are it won't upgrade beyond a PII. Whats more, even if it does upgrade & you can find a compatible processor, you still have to dismantle the entire laptop in order to do it. (Not something I would recommended to a novice).

The hard drive may be upgradeable a little bit, but this won't make the laptop any faster.
The good news however, is that the display requirements (800x600, 16 bit) shouldn't be a problem.

What is it you want to use Photoshop for? You may be able to find similar software that does what you want but which has lower minimum system requirements.

shouranpotter

shouranpotter

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 28 posts
Thanks for the reply!

Aww. It's kinda sad. Now I don't know what to do with this. Maybe just for internet and multimedia purpose - the RAM
could still be a problem though.... Nice to have another laptop with a different OS too.

Neways, I'm kinda good with Photoshop and photomanipulation so I want to do it on my laptop and bring it anywhere like in the park or in the bus or tube. But maybe any other compatible imaging software isn't bad.

... Another question regarding this same laptop.. Is it possible to repalce the OS with Linux or Linspire or other operating systems?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts

... Another question regarding this same laptop.. Is it possible to repalce the OS with Linux or Linspire or other operating systems?

I don't see why not. Again, check the min system requirements first to make sure. For example, if you install Linux, try an older version of Redhat or whichever release you prefer, as the minimum requirements will be lower.