Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

New Computer or New Console?

• Please log in to reply

Matt L

Matt L

• PipPipPip
  • 275 posts
I need help deciding what I should get, a new computer or a new console?

The positives of a new computer would have to be that I don't have to share with anyone else on the family. I'm using a family computer right now, and my sister and my father go on it all the time. It's always slow, and I'm sure they get spyware/malware/viruses on it because I actually watch where I go, and I never find anything on my desktop when I scan for things. And for some reason, the computer always ends up being slow in a month or two every time we buy a new computer no matter how fast we first bought it. Anyways, if I would get a computer it wouldn't be anything too fancy. It wouldn't go 'over' $800, and it would probably either be a Dell or an HP. I've always wanted my own computer because I think it'd be nice and in time, I will get my own internet connection and I can finally feel free to do whatever I want with 'my' computer.

On the other hand...

The positives of getting a new console would be an upgrade to my XBox. I sort of already have fun with my XBox now, but the games are getting old. A new console (it would probably either be an XBox 360 or a Nintendo Wii) would definetly let me have fun and I guess "put more flavor in my childhood" as they as it. Buying a new console would also be much cheaper than buying an $800 computer [price is without the internet upgrade], and I would definetly save a couple of hundred bucks when I buy a new gaming console...

I think it'd be more fun to go with the new console, but I'm having a little trouble deciding. Once I decide to get the new console, something comes up in my mind wanting me to get a new computer. Then when I finally decide on order the PC, I'll probably have to change my mind again... The PC would complete my new room because I have nothing to do in my room right now. I lent my XBox to my uncle for a couple of months because he doesn't have anything to play with, and when I get a new console, maybe he can keep my XBox. But then again, a new computer 'for me' just sounds so good...

:whistling:

Advertisements

frantique

frantique

Member 2k

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,700 posts
Matt, perhaps it would be helpful to get a large sheet of paper and draw a line down the middle. On the left put advantages of new computer. On the right put advantages of new console. Write as many advantages as you can think of for both (just a few words or short sentences) - not as a comparison, though - start with the computer and when you've exhausted all you can think of for now, start on the console. Leave it around for a few days cause you'll probably come up with some more once your brain is set into the process. If you're still having trouble after this maybe you could do the same for any disadvantages for each and see what that brings up.

Edited by frantique, 02 April 2007 - 07:47 PM.

Matt L

Matt L

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPip
  • 275 posts

Matt, perhaps it would be helpful to get a large sheet of paper and draw a line down the middle. On the left put advantages of new computer. On the right put advantages of new console. Write as many advantages as you can think of for both (just a few words or short sentences) - not as a comparison, though - start with the computer and when you've exhausted all you can think of for now, start on the console. Leave it around for a few days cause you'll probably come up with some more once your brain is set into the process. If you're still having trouble after this maybe you could do the same for any disadvantages for each and see what that brings up.

Great idea. Thank you for suggesting that. :whistling:

glen_m_32

glen_m_32

• PipPipPip
  • 255 posts
personnally, i think a new computer, because you can play games on the PC too, and if you get a good upgradable machine you can get alsmost as good graphics from the PC.

Soon they;ll prob release the WII controller for the. and remember you can't do much else on a console!

Complicated choice, ut i know what i'd go for!!!!

stettybet0

stettybet0

Trusted Tech

• Technician
  • 2,579 posts

personnally, i think a new computer, because you can play games on the PC too, and if you get a good upgradable machine you can get alsmost as good graphics from the PC.

Almost as good graphics? A nice PC will beat any console in the graphics department, and almost ANY PC will beat a Wii in graphics.

I would go with the PC, because there's so much more you can do with it. Also, while the console might seem cheaper, when a new $700 console comes out in a year or two, your gonna have to buy that if you want any new games. With a PC, you can just buy a few upgrades, and your set. Maybe once every 5 years do you actually have to scrap your whole PC and buy a new one (unless you absolutely have to have bleeding edge everything).

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The problem is anything you buy your going to have to upgrade further down the road, with technology you can't get away from that problem.
What it comes down to is what you'll be using a computer if you do indeed get one. If it's just games and a little MSN, I'd use the family computer when I could for MSN and game the other times on the console.
Otherwise if you really want both to do a little of this and a little of that you could go for both as well, kinda skeptical of doing that but its still a possibility. It's true you wouldn't have a great PC, but you can get a Wii for 250, isn't it? And a computer with the remaining 500$ to do the other things.
It really comes down to preference, like Frantic already mentioned, it might be wise to write on a paper and figure out which one will better suit your needs.
James

Edited by james_8970, 03 April 2007 - 05:25 PM.