Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Unknown Hard Error and Unmountable_Boot_Volume?

• Please log in to reply

Bertta

Bertta

• Pip
  • 1 posts
I have not made any upgrades, added any new hardware or software.. I was surfing the internet reading an article and the laptop went blank than the dreaded blue screen of death (bsd). I have tried several time to get it to reboot in safe mode, safe mode with network, safe mode with command prompt, last known working restart point, and regular. Each time it's a different code. eg. Stop: c0000221, 0x00000f4, 0x0000007e, 0x000000050, c0000218, along with messages: unknown hard error, unmountable_boot_volume, and finally page fault. I do not have a copy of winxp because dell did not send me one. After calling them asking for a copy the said it would not be needed. Now nobody can help me there. Please HELP!!

P.S. latest messge: PartMgr.sys-Address F78994AB base at F7897000, Datestamp 00000000.

P.S.S. I have a Dell inspiron 1100

Bertta

Advertisements

SkullKrusher

SkullKrusher

• Pip
  • 3 posts
Hmmm, sounds like it could be a corrupted bootsector on your HD, or a bad memory stick (if you are that lucky). You may want to try downloading Memtest or HCI Design's Memtest. If that doesn't work, it might be time for the good old fashioned ClearHDD.exe... ahh, but you can't get anything to boot.

Do you know someone that can let you borrow their Dell Inspiron version of WinXP? If not, I would call Dell back and let them know that you are completely unsatisfied with their troubleshooting and make them help you, even if it means a lengthy phone call.

Major Payne

Major Payne

Retired Staff

• Retired Staff
  • 5,307 posts
You can get Dell to send you the operating system CD for your laptop. I did it by going online and using Dell's Live Chat feature. I had the Recovery/Diagnostics CDs that came with PC, but no Win XP. After "talking" to them online and giving them the info they required, I received the CD within a week.

Ron