Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Cooling Suggestions For High-End Gaming Rig

• Please log in to reply

Nitrile

Nitrile

• Pip
  • 4 posts
I was wondering what cooling needs the following components would need:
Case:
Cooler Master Stacker 830 [includes 1 x 120mm front fan 1 x 120mm rear fan]
Optical Drive:
Lite-On 20x DVD Burner
Memory
Corsair XMS2 Dominator 4GB RAM
Motherboard
Intel BOXD975XBX2KR LGA 775
Hard Drive
Seagate Barracuda 320GB 7200RPM
Power Supply
Antec True Power Trio TP3-650 ATX12V 650W
Physics Card
BFG Tech BFGRPHYSX128P PhysX Processing Unit 128MB GDDR3 PCI
Video Card
Two (2) BFG Tech 8800GTX (Fan Cooled)
Processor
Intel Core 2 Extreme X6800 Conroe 2.93GHz

I don't want to deal with maintain a water-cooled system, I was wondering how many case fans, Video Card Fans, RAM Fans, etc. I would need to keep this system "in the green".

Any help would be much appreciated! Thank you.
(You can comment on the components as well if you would like, I have the OS, Thermal Compound, Keyboard+Mouse, Monitor, I just really need help on the cooling)

Edited by Nitrile, 03 April 2007 - 12:52 AM.

Advertisements

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
If you havn't bought the Physics card DON'T buy it! Buying a X-fi sound card would be money much better spent. That physics card is supported in very few games and only makes minute changes in them, it's not worth the money.
Put the fan in the front to suck air and the one in the back to blow it out. Other then that, it's all you can do, and you'll be safe.
Other then the physics card, it looks like a really good build, you may be cutting it a bit close with the PSU though....
James

Nitrile

Nitrile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

If you havn't bought the Physics card DON'T buy it! Buying a X-fi sound card would be money much better spent. That physics card is supported in very few games and only makes minute changes in them, it's not worth the money.
Put the fan in the front to suck air and the one in the back to blow it out. Other then that, it's all you can do, and you'll be safe.
Other then the physics card, it looks like a really good build, you may be cutting it a bit close with the PSU though....
James

Thank you for your help, I rarely listen to [game] music so I don't think I need a good sound card, I'll drop the physx card [more gimick than useful I think now...], the PSU I already had in my last build so I am hoping it posts with all the components up and running. I figured out that along with the two fans that come with it I am also going to get 4 120mm fans for the side and a nice Zalman CNPS9500 CPU cooler. I think im set for this build now.

-=blaster=-

-=blaster=-

• PipPipPip
  • 181 posts
Be Advise some of the 8800 GTX cards may be recalled due to an unfixable bug.

:whistling:

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
The reason why I said you ought to get a card was performance, even if you don't listen to the music, for gaming it'll take the load off of the CPU for audio not to mention be much smoother if you do video editing. With your build it shouldn't be to much of an issue for now... it's purely up to you.

Also that'll be plenty for cooling.

blaster can you give me a link regarding that recall, I've never heard this..... Wouldn't be surprised some ATI fanboys starting a rumor to hold people off to buy the new R600 cards coming out soon.

James

Edited by james_8970, 04 April 2007 - 03:32 PM.

Nitrile

Nitrile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts
I actually heard about the bug it renders things in the wrong place...so when you shoot it will actually miss the target. But its not that frequent. It was posted on dig yesterday. I picked up a Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer. And also swapped the graphics card to a 7950 GT instead to save some cash and bumped the processor down to C2D 2.66 Conroe. Swapped the RAM out also for some Corsair XMS2 2GB. Spending almost 4k on a computer was just too much at the end. Total build comes out to $2407.16. Which is much more managable in terms of price. I'll post some pics in about a week.

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
Everything you changed there is fine except the graphics cards.
Please tell me you didn't buy two, SLIing is usless, one 8800GTX would be leap and bounds better.
James

Nitrile

Nitrile

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Everything you changed there is fine except the graphics cards.
Please tell me you didn't buy two, SLIing is usless, one 8800GTX would be leap and bounds better.
James

Useless for most games right now, but I know what your're saying, It does make more sence to go with the 8800

james_8970

james_8970

Trusted Tech

• Retired Staff
  • 5,084 posts
You are completely contradicting yourself.
I'm saying SLI is a marketing gimic. Also yes the 8800GTX out performs them by a mile with or without DX10.
Also can you give me a link about this bug, never heard of it before.
James

Edited by james_8970, 05 April 2007 - 05:03 PM.