Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Linksys USB Adapter

• Please log in to reply

Fragman52

Fragman52

• PipPip
  • 23 posts
I just bought a Linksys USB WiFi adapter. I install the CD software, plug my device in when it says, and both Windows and the Linksys software tells me that the adapter is plugged in and active, yet it isn't recognized as a wireless network, so I can't even set the [bleep] thing up.

This is really frustrating. I went from this to a USB adapter that worked, but crashed my PC every few hours. I'd take an unstable network over one that doesn't work at all any day! One other thing that pisses me off, every time I re-plug in an adapter, Windows thinks it is a new wireless network connection. Right now I'm on wireless connection #21, if that is even possible. Windows must be retarded.

What am I doing wrong here?

PS - Windows XP SP2, Linksys WUSB54GC adapter

Advertisements

Fragman52

Fragman52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
I'd like to be more clear. I think I may have made a big mistake. You see, I'd like to use my adapter as an access point for my Wii and DS. I have no wireless router. For some reason Linksys assumes you want to use the adapter to connect a computer to an already standing wireless network.

I need to use this adapter as an access point itself. I can do this with other USB adapters so why not this one?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Wii and DS??

Fragman52

Fragman52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes, I wish to use the adapter as an access point. It doesn't allow me to do that. The bargain bin junk adapter I had before this had more functionality.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No, I mean what are Wii and DS supposed to be?

Fragman52

Fragman52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Oh. Nintendo Wii and Nintendo DS. Wii = Console, DS = Handheld. Both connect via WiFi to the internet, and I would like to use this new adapter to do that.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
Ok, so am I right in thinking then that your PC connects to the Internet via a ethernet or USB cable & a broadband modem?

Fragman52

Fragman52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Yes, ethernet to a cable modem. I wanted a cheaper solution to providing an access point for my various non-computer wireless devices, so I figured an adapter was the way to go. The only problem is that this adapter doesn't seem to want to let me use it as an access point. It expects me to use it to connect to an already existing wireless network, which I don't have.

It's a little frustrating, because I should be able to use this adapter as an access point itself. Linksys doesn't seem to put a lot of functionality into their products.

Is there anyway I can make it work?

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
OK, try these steps....
(I am assuming you are running XP on the PC so tell me if you're not)
On the PC:
Double click on the Linksys wireless network monitor (green icon) in the system tray.
In there, check that you are in Infrastructure mode, not as-hoc mode. Also make sure that the wireless adapter is active. (It should state this in the bottom right corner of the monitoring utility).

Next you need to setup Internet connection sharing on the PC - open Network Connections.
Right click on the LAN connection that is used for your broadband internet & select Properties.
In the Advanced tab, tick the box labelled 'Allow other network users to connect through this computers internet connection.
If it asks you to select the network adapter to use, then select the wireless adapter.
Follow the remaining on screen instructions until ICS is setup.
Reboot the system

Run the Linksys Wireless network monitor again & check the following :
IP address : This should have been set to 192.168.0.1 by ICS
Make a note of the SSID & channel number.
I would suggest it may be wise to disable any security on the wireless adapter (e.g WEP encryption etc) until the network is working.
Also disable any 3rd party firewall you may have running. If you use Windows Firewall, this should have been configured for ICS already, but if in doubt, disable it.

On the Nintendo DS etc, configure the wireless settings as follows :
SSID - must match that of the ICS Server (i.e the PC)
Auto-obtain IP : Ideally this should be disabled & a static IP set. However, ICS in XP does not allow you to disable DHCP server so auto-obain IP must be enabled here.
Gateway : this should be the PC's IP address (i.e 192.168.0.1)
Auto-obtain DNS : try enabling this for now.

You may need to reboot everything afterwards. Remember though, that as the PC i acting as a server to the others, it should be booted up first the client systems.

Let me know what happens

Fragman52

Fragman52

• Topic Starter
  • PipPip
  • 23 posts
Sorry, too late. I returned it for a D-Link router. Set it up and it works great. Fast speeds and great range! :whistling:

Thanks for your help though!

Edited by Fragman52, 04 April 2007 - 10:20 PM.

Samm

Samm

Trusted Tech

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
No worries, glad you've got it sorted