Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Need help with your computer or device? Want to learn new tech skills? You're in the right place!
Geeks to Go is a friendly community of tech experts who can solve any problem you have. Just create a free account and post your question. Our volunteers will reply quickly and guide you through the steps. Don't let tech troubles stop you. Join Geeks to Go now and get the support you need!

How it Works Create Account
Photo

Adding Win98 to domain

• Please log in to reply

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I have a network with all servers as 2003 std SP1, all client machines as Win XP SP2. I need to add a couple win98 machines into the domain. Ive never done this.

Anyone know how I can go about this?

Thanks

Advertisements

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
http://www.wellesley...main/win98.html
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/555038
now...i've never done ANY of this hehe so don't quote me on the ease of accomplishments

question...do they actually need to be on the domain? or do they just need domain resources?

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
Thanks for the reply but unfortunately I figured it out first. Here is the breakdown.

I needed to map a drive from 98 to one of my file servers. Thats all "domain" resources I needed.

I basically gave the NIC a static address on the LAN.
Set the WINS server info.
Under the Client for Microsoft Networks Client I checked the box to connect to the NT4 domain.
I set the computer name and made the workgroup the name of the domain.
reboot

Thats it. I was able to browse the domain and map the drive.

Thanks for the ideas.

dsenette

dsenette

Je suis Napoléon!

• Community Leader
  • 26,047 posts
  • MVP
yeah...when someone comes in here at work with a 98 machine...i just tell them they're out of luck hehe..i'll map a printer for em...but that's it

jaxisland

jaxisland

Member 1K

• Topic Starter
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 1,703 posts
I wish I could do the same, but we manufacture product with a 20 year support gurantee, and alot of the old stuff wont work on XP.

We used colinux to use the XP as a host with 98 sharing the connection but that was horrid. Everytime you would open a file on the domain through colinux it wouldnt shut it down, so I would have to go through manually and close the files so other people could use them.

Hopefully now this will work until the day I can put them in the rubbish.