Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works

Computer keeps restarting after showing Windows XP load picture

• Please log in to reply

• PipPip
  • 31 posts
I was using the computer today and Word crashed so, I ended the tasks through windows task manager, but for some reason, it would not shut down the process. I opened word for a 2nd time and it loaded but then froze aswell after I pasted an unformatted piece of text in there.

I've tried to repair the XP installation but, I am not being presented with the option to repair my current installation of XP. After reading a topic on GeeksToGo, it said that the likelyhood is the data is corrupted which I would imagine is true as a fresh installation of XP is saying to me that the total size of the HDD is both avaliable and free?!? ... I know this to be untrue as the computer now does attempt to boot however, after getting to the loading windows XP screen with the green process feature, it restarts and then the computer says that it had an error and windows did not load properly. I've tried using the last good known configuration and still nothing. The same problem also occurs in Safe Mode and before booting into Windows, the computer restarts.

So, what I can conclude is that Windows must still be on the HDD to show the XP symbol but the question is how do I fix the booting problem and get the free space on the XP setup page corrected??

Any help would be most appreciated!