Welcome to Geeks to Go - Register now for FREE

Geeks To Go is a helpful hub, where thousands of volunteer geeks quickly serve friendly answers and support. Check out the forums and get free advice from the experts. Register now to gain access to all of our features, it's FREE and only takes one minute. Once registered and logged in, you will be able to create topics, post replies to existing threads, give reputation to your fellow members, get your own private messenger, post status updates, manage your profile and so much more.

Create Account How it Works
Photo

Adding a new hard drive to RAID 0 system

• Please log in to reply

valkery

valkery

• Pip
  • 2 posts
I'm thinking of adding an additional hard drive to my RAID system. I have found all the information on what steps to take at the Sony website except for what happens after I install the drive. Do I have to do a system recovery and reinstall all my software or can I just add a drive without any loss of data. The documentation for my RAID system says that
the choices for configuring a RAID array are:

RAID-0 computer (which is what I have)
I can change the RAID-0 configuration to RAID-1 or
Remove RAID configuration completely

RAID ready computer
install and set up RAID-0 or RAID-1 config.
Use any add'l drives as a separate drive without RAID config.

I guess to sum it up, do I need to do a system recovery when a new hard drive is added to an existing RAID-0 array.
(add'l system info)
Windows XP media edition home
Intel Storage Utilty
160Gb SATA 7200rpm x2
Thanks!

Advertisements

SOORENA

SOORENA

• PipPipPip
  • 974 posts
You won't lose your data and you won't have to reinstall everything. It's really easy you just play Connect 3D and you connect it to any plug thats avaialble and boom you're done.

Edited by SOORENA, 03 April 2007 - 02:14 PM.

valkery

valkery

• Topic Starter
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
Ok,
I have the new drive installed, cables hooked up. System shows it is installed, but not part of my RAID array under Intel storage utility. When I go to Computer management > then Disk management I can see the drive. It wants to know if I want a Basic or Dynamic drive before I format it.
This is where I'm lost. I would like to add it as part of my primary C: drive listed with the other hard drives in the RAID-0 array. Is this possible?
I dont want to assign it a drive letter as a seperate drive.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks